a christmas miracle

Told Rob this morning that I must now question my previously stated contempt (in certain regards) for religion and that there may indeed be evidence of a deity. I have had a Christmas miracle.

I have always thought that 'Darkness' was, if not Springsteen's best, then as good as anything else he has done. Other, less enlightened folk have not always agreed.

All true music fans will be aware of the story of the Boss and the production of 'Darkness', with all the difficulties and the three years or whatever and the legal actions etc.

For those who have been living under a rock or in a cave for the last couple of decades, when Bruce wrote 'Born to Run', he wrote 9 songs for it and used 8. For 'Darkness', he wrote something like 70 plus and used ten.

Anyway, they recently found the film that one of his mates took of the recording sessions and put together a new release called 'The Promise'. It is a two-CD set of songs that were not used for 'Darkness', but lest anyone think this is just some sordid Christmas, money grabbing operation, the songs include 'Fire' which he gave to the Pointer Sisters, 'Because the Night' which went to Patti Smith, the brilliant 'Rendezvous' and a sensational alternative version of 'Racing in the Streets and so much more'.

That in itself is surely evidence of heaven.

But wait, there's more. Oh so much more....

There is also a special limited edition box set of those two CD's, a remastered copy of the original 'Darkness' and three DVD's of the recording and also a three hour London concert of all the classics from the late 70's. I get goosebumps just writing that.

And it comes in a replicated copy of the original notebook, with all the song lyrics, jottings etc, plus photos and the usual crap.

It has been out for a bit (I’m usually either waiting outside the store for something like this, or leaving it as long as I can for the anticipation to build) and I went shopping the other day so dropped in to the local 'Sanity' to grab one. This was one time I should have been on the doorstep. I didn't realise how limited. Apparently only 100,000 for the entire world and no further release.

I had a young kid telling me forget it, all gone. What a tragedy. He says that they only got a couple and it was sold out around Australia, and apparently the rest of the world, on the first day. He says he missed out as well. I look at him and he says, 'I might be only 23 but I am a big fan'.

I think that may be there is hope for this planet but I must have looked a little cynical.

He says, 'I really am. Look'. And pulls up his trouser leg to reveal a big heart tattoo with “BRUCE” across it. Even I think that is a bit extreme.

Tells me I could ring Sony to try and find one but realistically, no chance.

So I spend half a day on the phone to every department of Sony (and some bloke called Jack Sony who clearly needs to change his name or his attitude). Finally some girl tells me that yes they did sell out worldwide but there is a rumour that some extras may have been allocated to Australia and they are yet to arrive but it is a rumour only and even if true, it probably will not arrive for months, if at all.

Deep depression sets in. Has anything this bad ever happened to anyone?

Anyway, a few days later, I ring the tattooed kid to say that if any turn up next year, please put me on this list.

About now, start playing spooky music. You won't believe this, says the kid, but out of nowhere, another couple have just turned up. Only minutes ago.

Lock one away, I scream, and around I go at top speed.

So today, I have my choice of Bruce playing all day or listening to the cricket. What do you think?

Of course, needless to say, if there is a god, he has a sense of humour. The DVD's are all blue-ray and I don't have a blue-ray player. So they are sitting, taunting me, till I get one.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

God bless us, every one. :cowpoop:

Great story, which gives one a little faith in life.

While I appreciate his talent, I'm not a huge fan of the Boss. That said two things everyone should have on his or her bucket list are seeing both Bon Jovi (again, not my favorite in general) and Bruce Springsteen live in New Jersey. The energy of seeing either in front of their home state crowd is amazing.

God bless us, every one. :cowpoop:

Great story, which gives one a little faith in life.

While I appreciate his talent, I'm not a huge fan of the Boss. That said two things everyone should have on his or her bucket list are seeing both Bon Jovi (again, not my favorite in general) and Bruce Springsteen live in New Jersey. The energy of seeing either in front of their home state crowd is amazing.

bar fishing, two things would get me on a plane overnight. bruce in new jersey and a seat at el bulli.

Ken has a tattoo of Bruce's back.... on his arse.

I am happy for you ken. I now know what I will be listening to in Vid reviews during 2011 from your deck :lol:

what makes you think it will only be 2011?

and i have no tatts anywhere.

and apols, the convert is from houston, not london.

must chase that hyde park one.

Great Buy Ken!! Great story hunting it down. Do you believe in boot legs???!!! Prove it all night '78 best live song by Bruce Ever. There is a recording of this entire concert and I am on it's trail. I know I posted this once before...it deserves another. enjoy Ken

Here's another xmas present Ken.. Ghost of Tom Joad with Tom Morrello (Rage against the machine) Watch the 6 min mark...the guy's a freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKT5R0eydM4

Ken - I went out on the release date but were all sold out. It's now on my Christmas list and I just was a DVD copy in the store recently - so hopefully the wife picked it up for me.

In case you're interested and until you get a blu-ray player here's the link to Backstreets.com - scroll down for a new 30 minute video of The Promise: http://www.backstreets.com/news.html