Ashes predictions

The first test starts next Thursday but so far radio silence from down under.

Any predictions? I haven't really got into it yet but it seems that England have the strongest chance in ages of retaining and I would not be surprised at all if we have a series win.

Australia have lost their aura of invincibility following the retirement of the 'golden generation' and England seem to be on the resurgence under Strauss and our bowling attack is now comparable to that of 2005. Will also be interesting to see how England cope with the so-called 'mental pressures of the tour' and if KP performs.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm personally not interested in KP,as I'm not keen on his type,showboating etc.But knowing him,he'll prove me wrong and drag it out for the big matches.

Really looking forward to this series,as the two teams are pretty even.

Still too tough to call though.

If the rugby is an omen...

It"s looking ugly for the Aussies. Batsmen out of form, bowlers belted around the park, no spinner, selectors to be sacked, captain under pressure, Vice captain disliked amongst the team.

It will be a glorious rising from the ashes... to take the Ashes :P

seriously, it is one at best average side playing a hopeless one. how the hell will we score enough runs or take enough to win a test? if we were 20% as good as we were four years ago, we'd go close to five nil again. as it is, 3 zip the poms only because brizzy may be washed out and the poms simply are not that good a team to win five.

love to be proved wrong but can't see it.

selectors should be strung up.

Can't really agree with you there.

I think the current English side is above average,with some potential matchwinners.Broad,Swann,Trott,Morgan,Strauss,Collingwood.

Suppose for us the main question is whether some people will turn up,ie Ian bell,KP and whether Cook can find some form.

For me,English success depends on how Cook and Strauss open.

I would also be happier having Graham Onions there.

I also think you underestimate your countrymens pride at playing at home

Can't really agree with you there.

I think the current English side is above average,with some potential matchwinners.Broad,Swann,Trott,Morgan,Strauss,Collingwood.

Suppose for us the main question is whether some people will turn up,ie Ian bell,KP and whether Cook can find some form.

For me,English success depends on how Cook and Strauss open.

I would also be happier having Graham Onions there.

I also think you underestimate your countrymens pride at playing at home

i did a detailed response but the machine killed it - perhaps it knows more than we do. basically, if ponting and a few others happen to fire and johnson bowls well, who knows. but if we pick hauritz, we've already thrown up the white flag.

as for england, they'll look good because we are so dire but seriously, how many - possibly kp at his absolute best - would have made the aussie side at its peak? bugger all. how many of the current english team would make the current indian team? anyone? if that is above average then your standards are a long way below mine.

It"s looking ugly for the Aussies. Batsmen out of form, bowlers belted around the park, no spinner, selectors to be sacked, captain under pressure, Vice captain disliked amongst the team.

It will be a glorious rising from the ashes... to take the Ashes :P

Didn't know Michael Clarke was disliked by the team..why?

there are a lot of stories that he is disliked and some disharmony - seems he was keener to rush home and bonk lara bingle than to stay with the team and sing songs while getting pissed. i wonder how much of it is true. i think he has got a bad rep from the public and they then also assume that the rest of the team hates him. he probably has come across to some there as a bit precious. symonds was good at taking the piss and keeping teammates grounded, i believe. and symonds apparently felt clarke didn't support him enough.

my problem with clarke is that although he has a very good record, he so very rarely scores the big innings when it is really needed. and he so very often gets out in the over or two before a break. time and tiome again. makes gower's record look like a accident.

there are a lot of stories that he is disliked and some disharmony - seems he was keener to rush home and bonk lara bingle than to stay with the team and sing songs while getting pissed. i wonder how much of it is true. i think he has got a bad rep from the public and they then also assume that the rest of the team hates him. he probably has come across to some there as a bit precious. symonds was good at taking the piss and keeping teammates grounded, i believe. and symonds apparently felt clarke didn't support him enough.

my problem with clarke is that although he has a very good record, he so very rarely scores the big innings when it is really needed. and he so very often gets out in the over or two before a break. time and tiome again. makes gower's record look like a accident.

None of the batsmen have the necessary application when times are tough - in the test series against Pakistan too many went fishing outside off stump or played their shots etc when clearly conditions highly favoured bowling - same again in sheffield shield here in Sydney a day or so ago.

Most of the batsmen still think that Gilchrist is going to come in at 6 or 7 and save the day if they f**k it (or they think that someone else will pick up the pieces) so they play recklessly. Unfortunately we dont have players who can stand out and do that any more so style of playing has to change.

As for the bowling, well, Johnson has potential on his given day to rip through a team - depends on whether his mum and/or girlfriend is happy - obviously has the mental strength of a jellyfish.

Poms to win the series about 2-0 (but hoping and praying for Aussies to win).

Can't blame the lad for wanting to go home and bonk Lara....half the team might want to join him for a go around.

On a more seroius note isn't he set to be the next Captain! I mean if the Aussies win the ashes and Ricky decides to go on a high note then who? Who else has been groomed for that job....nobody I know of.

He's a poonce (***** ass ***** in the urban dictionary).

The toughness of a marshmallow, the leadership ability of Captain Mannering. Apparently hanging around long enough and doing bonds underwear commercials is enough for potential Australian Cricket Captain.

Can't blame the lad for wanting to go home and bonk Lara....half the team might want to join him for a go around.

On a more seroius note isn't he set to be the next Captain! I mean if the Aussies win the ashes and Ricky decides to go on a high note then who? Who else has been groomed for that job....nobody I know of.

barring some massive upheaval, clarke a cert for next capt. long annoited. and absolutely no alternatives. all too old. ponting has been talking of going back to england next time but he'd want to make sure the form warrants it. that might be the only way clarke misses captaincy - if ponting stays around for a lot longer and someone else comes through.

only other bloke anyone seems to think has a chance is cameron white however not being able to make the team may be a hurdle.

He's a poonce (***** ass ***** in the urban dictionary).

The toughness of a marshmallow, the leadership ability of Captain Mannering. Apparently hanging around long enough and doing bonds underwear commercials is enough for potential Australian Cricket Captain.

I agree.

Also - is he any good? Sure he will probably end up with an OK batting average but I cannot remember him ever winning a game for us - (ironically other than through his spin bolwing - which was greatly assisted by "interesting" umpiring decisions).

Dump them all and start again - Keep Ponting, bat Watson at 6, bowling is always a lucky dip due to injury etc so but get rid of the rest of the dead wood batsmen and keeper - go for youth and look to the next ashes series in England.

I agree.

Also - is he any good? Sure he will probably end up with an OK batting average but I cannot remember him ever winning a game for us - (ironically other than through his spin bolwing - which was greatly assisted by "interesting" umpiring decisions).

Dump them all and start again - Keep Ponting, bat Watson at 6, bowling is always a lucky dip due to injury etc so but get rid of the rest of the dead wood batsmen and keeper - go for youth and look to the next ashes series in England.

how tough for poor hughes. looked a genius and a ten year player. got out once or twice to short balls. press all over it. selectors put on dresses and caved in to media ruibbish and dropped him (he'd carved up south africa in south africa in his first tests - not many do that). destroyed the kid's confidence. imbeciles.

how tough for poor hughes. looked a genius and a ten year player. got out once or twice to short balls. press all over it. selectors put on dresses and caved in to media ruibbish and dropped him (he'd carved up south africa in south africa in his first tests - not many do that). destroyed the kid's confidence. imbeciles.

i absolutely agree - and now they have left him out of the 1550 man preliminary 'not really a squad' squad. Idiots.

Interesting analysis from Michael Vaughan where he basically says whoever wins the first test will win the series.

Vaughan's article in the telegraph

Also thought these comments from his article were salient:

We have just got to be careful. Yes, this is our best chance and we have a magnificent opportunity to win this series, but these Aussies are not going to roll over. They are not as bad as everyone is saying. They are a good side and any team who can beat India on their home soil, which they would have done in Mohali in October had Doug Bollinger stayed on the pitch, can't be that bad.