Will the Grubel Chiller GWC-ST18W work?

adic88

Living in Malaysia, that fridge is going to be running constantly to maintain a cold temp. You'll probably need an active humidifier to ensure your cigars don't dry out.

Then again, if you bedroom is any like my cousin's, constantly air conditioned to 20 degrees, just leave the fridge in there but don't run it.

IMHO, I'd find a thermoelectric model and save yourself the worry.

I thought from that listing that it shows "compressor" method rather than thermoelectric. So I don't think so.

But, I'm not a user of electronic wine chiller/fridge humidors - I prefer wood cabinets; can't beat spanish cedar.

Piggy's got some good experience with the electronic stuff though, so maybe he'll see this and pipe in.

• 4 weeks later...

My preference is plasma (compressor) type refrigerators. They work and they transfer a great amount of heat quickly. One of my humidors is still in my shop, 100+ Deg F in the summer and my cigars never go over 70 Deg F, or even 65 if that is my desire. There are 40 boxes of cigars in that cooler and I never even give it a thought when it is 100 out. Peltier coolers are only good for limited differential cooling. You decide what the differential will be and choose a system based on your needs. Putting a Peltier type wine cooler in 85 degrees and you will likely never get it below 70. The cooler will run constantly and it will dry your cigars to the 40's (RH).

The laws of physics don't change with the cooler type used. One system cools quicker and more efficiently and that solves as many problems as it creates. If you want to build one of these drop me a line and if I don't have to write too much more than I have already written, I will be happy to tell you all you want to know. My PM is alway full but there is a note there of my email address in my profile.

-Prof. Piggy

Living in Malaysia, that fridge is going to be running constantly to maintain a cold temp. You'll probably need an active humidifier to ensure your cigars don't dry out.

Thats true.

For example,I live in a place with high temp and high RH,I bought a wine cooler a few months ago and its working all the time.

At first I had hard time raising the RH ,it was around 50%-55% ,not good.

I tried several solutions.

The best one was an active humidifier like the hydra.

I also set-up inside the cooler a pc fan to help the circulation inside and I think that filling up the cooler with boxes,even empty ones help to raise the RH.

Now the RH is 63%-67%,much improvement.