Monte No. 5 vs Diplo No. 5

I saw a recent thread on favorite cold weather cigars, which got me thinking. I've already loaded up on a box of Reyes and Shorts for the impending Chicago winter, but also wanted to get another box [to keep it interesting] - of a Perla.

Any thoughts on taste profiles and recommendations between Montecristo No. 5 and Diplomaticos No.5? I've only had both as No.2

Thanks, guys!

Jason

I think if your talking fresh as in 08's or 09's than I would lean towards the dip's. But this is coming from someone who is not much of a monte fan. Also, why not the RASCC? I just love the dip's for their bright citrus notes and prefer that to the coffee notes usually found in the monte. I'm actually smoking a Dip 1 from 01 at the moment and its hallmark Dip, really great in the afternoon with coffee.

The minutos seem more concentrated than their PC brethren. For that reason, I enjoy the dip 5 more than the monte 5. Don't get me wrong, I like the Monte too, but the Dip 5 has a more unique flavor that gets my vote...especially in that concentrated smaller smoke.

I don't see either as an overproduced cigar. If people with proven palates (means that they align with mine) are suggesting one over another then that might make a difference. In other cases I would simply spring for the cigar that I can get the best deal on. I had bought some of the M-5 for less than 3 bucks each in a 10x box a few years ago. That made 30 cigars less than 90 bucks and that was the winning combo that day. I don't think you can go wrong with either. -Piggy