Wine Cooler question

slee87

Sorry is this question has been asked like a million times. I just started to smoke cigars about a month ago so i still need to learn alot.

My question is when buying a wine cooling for a humidor use insted of canbinet humidor what items do i need to maintain the cigars? Thanks for the help!!!!!

I have written extensively on this site about humidors, controls and testing. Look up some older threads and you will find a lot of answers. I have written a complete how to convert tutorial that is around here somewhere. Best of luck, Piggy.

I bought a wine cooler a couple of months ago. I got on the website that sells humidity beads (can someone post the link, I forgot it), calculated what quantity of beads I would need based on the volume of the wine cooler. Then I received the beads (65% humidity), sprayed them with distilled water (which I got from the hardware store, it's used in car engines I think). Put the beads in the wine cooler (in their stockings) and voila! I had 65% humidity in about 3 hours. And it's never dropped (except once when I needed to re-spray the beads)

I also never turn the thing on - for me, this just opens a pandora's box of potential problems. I just view it as an airtight container which looks good. Granted, high temperatures can cause bugs to hatch, but if you're confident in your sources, and keep an eye on your sticks, I don't see this ever being a problem. People have been storing cigars without temperature control for decades. This wine-cooler thing is a relatively new phenomenon.

I have a Vinotemp 28. It holds temperature at 66, which is perfect for aging cigars.

BTW, it won't hold nearly as many boxes as I expected. I wish I had gotten a larger unit.

Noob question.

Vinotemp and wine cooler are the same thing ?

Noob question.

Vinotemp and wine cooler are the same thing ?

Vinotemp is a brand of a wine cooler. There are a lot of brands, but people seem to use these the most. I used to have a smaller one until I decided to just use a Coleman cooler. I keep it in the basement where the temperature is around 62 degrees. This may be too low, but I don't have any issues. I know you're worried about the temp, so if you don't have a basement you may want to invest in a Vinotemp or other type of cooler. Good luck-Jim

Vinotemp is a brand of a wine cooler. There are a lot of brands, but people seem to use these the most. I used to have a smaller one until I decided to just use a Coleman cooler. I keep it in the basement where the temperature is around 62 degrees. This may be too low, but I don't have any issues. I know you're worried about the temp, so if you don't have a basement you may want to invest in a Vinotemp or other type of cooler. Good luck-Jim

Thanks Jim,that was very helpful.