2009 Cohiba Gran Reserva

Have any of the esteemed members here managed to test drive one of these? I've heard glowing reports elsewhere about this beauty, :thumbsdwn: but I don't know anyone wealthy enough to procure me one. :(

*Yes, I got one some months back. Before I did, though, I consulted one of the online cuban cigar experts first, to see what his view was. He said that in reality you can get an ordinary (!) Cohiba Siglo VI for the $30 price and get just as much quality/enjoyment out of it than a $120 GR. I got one anyway, in a special sampler pack of other great havanas, and...he was right. I mean it was great quality, a little salty to the taste buds than the usual cool sweet smoke I'm used to. But at least I satisfied my curiousity!

*Yes, I got one some months back. Before I did, though, I consulted one of the online cuban cigar experts first, to see what his view was. He said that in reality you can get an ordinary (!) Cohiba Siglo VI for the $30 price and get just as much quality/enjoyment out of it than a $120 GR. I got one anyway, in a special sampler pack of other great havanas, and...he was right. I mean it was great quality, a little salty to the taste buds than the usual cool sweet smoke I'm used to. But at least I satisfied my curiousity!

It sounds like my purchase of PSP Siglo VI was pretty cool. but If We think it as an investment, The problem would be more difficult wouldn't be?

Yes, that's the elusive € sign :)

Not sure what you meant by that comment though...

Those of you who have smoked this one would you say thats its a meduim-full bodied or a full bodied cigar?

It starts off medium and for me it ended stronger then a normal Siglo VI.

All due respect, I don't understand a lot of the comments here.

I"ve smoked 5 of these now and 2 were among the best smoking experiences I've ever had, two were very very good and one was just good.

Anyone who smokes a lot of Habanos would agree that that's about as good as you'll get.

And I don't get the comparisons to the regular Sig 6. It's a totally different taste altogether. There's no Siglo taste in the GR. Tastes Linea Classica to me, but better. That said, the worst of the 5 is better than 95% of the Sig 6's I've ever smoked, including the first batch that were the best Sig 6's made, IMVVHO.

Medium to full, I'd say.

So for those of you that have smoked the CGR's and Siglio VI's with some regularity. Is it really worth the 5x price differential? (roughly $30 vs $150)

Not unless you're rich. Really rich.

I've never seen them with the third tag/band on them...is that something new??

That's a Euro price tag. Not on any others I've seen.

So for those of you that have smoked the CGR's and Siglio VI's with some regularity. Is it really worth the 5x price differential? (roughly $30 vs $150)

No, but the whole "value proposition for a luxury item" thing has been covered here ad nauseum.

Otherwise, no one would buy Cohibas and Trinidads, or Petrus and Opus One.

They taste awesome and are special occaision cigars. It's up to you to decide you want to pay what it costs for that.

By the way, those numbers don't seem right to me. $150 per is awfully high. Is that what they sell singles for?

Finally, Prez has made some noteworthy points on buying singles of these.

I've never seen them with the third tag/band on them...is that something new??

Price tag on every cigars is mandatory in Belgium.

I guess these are where they come from :2thumbs:!

Anyone who smokes a lot of Habanos would agree that that's about as good as you'll get.

Perhaps true, but I feel it should not be considered acceptable at even regular hand rolled production levels.

And I don't get the comparisons to the regular Sig 6. It's a totally different taste altogether.

Perhaps HSA should not have named it the Cohiba Siglo VI Gran Reserva. But as such, it's not out of line to expect the two to share some traits,

and that people would make such comparisons. Not really much different than than trying to draw comparisons to ELs and their regular production

stable mates - though how often have we heard of members use the term "generic" EL flavor profile.