Bad Monte labels?

post-6899-1278346038.jpg

Please see the attached photo... These are a Monte #3, 4, and 5. If you look closely ( I know the photos are not great, sorry ) the band on the #3 on the left is different from the two on the right. It is lighter and not embossed. This would indicate that it is a pre-May 2008 band, which would mean that this vendor sent me some smokes in a variety pack that are at least two years old. Does this seem logical or probable? Also the label on the top is from a Monte#2 and the printing is off center. The smoke was unimpressive and very linear as well. Granted I only let them rest for a couple of days, but still...

Any thoughts anyone?

This would indicate that it is a pre-May 2008 band, which would mean that this vendor sent me some smokes in a variety pack that are at least two years old. Does this seem logical or probable? Also the label on the top is from a Monte#2 and the printing is off center.

It is quite possible that the vendor gave you a pre-2008 band from an unsold opened box. ;)

The band being off center is a commun thing in many brands. B)

It is quite possible that the vendor gave you a pre-2008 band from an unsold opened box. :D

The band being off center is a commun thing in many brands. :o

Thanks very much. Good to know. Other than that the smokes all look marvelous...

Hi,

I am no expert on bands, but I have a box of 2008 Monte #2s from Czar, GAS Jul08 that match the band you have one the left. I recently got an HQ box from Czar MOA Oct09 that match the new embossed band you show on the right.

I'm not sure of the exact date the bands changed, but would be curious to find out.

In my experience Monte #2s greatly benefit from a lay down time of at least 30 days. My first few that I tried in the first few days of receipt were as you describe, but when I let them rest over 30 days the difference was amazing.

Good luck!

Hi,

I am no expert on bands, but I have a box of 2008 Monte #2s from Czar, GAS Jul08 that match the band you have one the left. I recently got an HQ box from Czar MOA Oct09 that match the new embossed band you show on the right.

I'm not sure of the exact date the bands changed, but would be curious to find out.

In my experience Monte #2s greatly benefit from a lay down time of at least 30 days. My first few that I tried in the first few days of receipt were as you describe, but when I let them rest over 30 days the difference was amazing.

Good luck!

I read in Cigar Aficionado that the band change occured in May '08 to the Edmundo first and all of the others in stages. Thanks for the advice on resting my CC's. Seems to be a recurring theme.

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've smoked boxes of Montes and the quality of the printing on the bands have varied in the past. In the last two years they've really improved the QC on the printing (and the cigars too!).

It's not unheard of for a vendor to have two year old stock sitting around.

Besides.....you'd know for sure if it was fake now that you've smoked it - fakes are usually much worse than 'unimpressive'!

I've had Monte Especiales, #3 and #4 with varying bands and they were all real. Some were embossed and some were not. Like the last poster, I think it all boils down to the "taste test." You know almost right away if it's a fake when you smoke it.