Madrid Airport

Heading to Portugal in a few weeks time - It seems that my original plan to go to Madrid/Barcelona on a day trip to get some well-priced Habanos has been loudly vetoed by the boss....so after some more research I've discovered that

A ) On the way in, we're flying through Barajas Airport in Madrid, our last stop by air before Porto, Portugal

B ) We're arriving in Terminal 1, Leaving from Terminal 2 and have 2-2.5 hours between flights

C ) Terminal 1 in Barajas Airport has a "Cava del Cigarros" :lookaround:

So.......does anyone have any experience with this Cava Del Cigarros in Terminal 1, Barajas Airport, Madrid? Is there a good selection, any rare/hard to find cigars here? What about other terminals in Barajas?

Thanks for any info anyone can give!

Usually they have a somewhat decent selection. Don't expect to find any rare/hard to find cigars there. Also be aware that the cigar prices in Spain are regulated by the authorities, so the price is the same all over Spain. Only exception is if you buy a cigar in a bar, restaurant or the airport. They are allowed to put a 15% increase on top of the regular price. So you would be better off finding a cava de puros/estanco when you go to Madrid and/or Barcelona. In Barcelona they have a very nice shop called Gimenos right in the middle of the ramblas (address is Ramblas 100) across the street from La Boquería market. You can't miss it. Ask them to take you down to the walk-in humidor in the cellar. It's very cool whne you are buying boxes they'll open several boxes for your inspection so you can choose the box you want yourself according to constrution, wrapper colour or whatever you look for when choosing a box.

Here is a link to the official prices in Spain:

http://www.mycigarsite.com/subopciones/opc...pcion1ceng.html

Have in mind that the list has not been updated since 2007 and I don't remember if the authorities has regulated the prices since. But I don't think so.

Finally I wish you a very nice trip. You definately won't regret visiting Spain. It's such a beautiful country in many many ways. And both Madrid and Barcelona has a lot to offer.

Thanks very much for the advice! The main problem though, is that I am no longer able to visit Madrid or Barcelona proper because my fiancee is adament that this trip is about seeing her grandparents in Portugal, not about "buying stupid cigars"..........so the Madrid Airport stopover is as close as I get! I may get a trip to Vigo in my rental car, but Madrid and Barcelona are out, as much as I really want to visit Cava Magellenes and Gimenos :hungry:

Even if you buy in an airport with a 15% markup...its still got to be cheaper than Canada, right? No HTFs, but there are plenty of good regular production sticks out there. While I fully endorse buying from Czar pretty much exclusively to save, there is something to be said about being able to pick your own box out of a stack from time to time.

Good advice there from SonGoku.

The thing about Spain is that you will find cheaper prices here and elsewhere online for regular production stuff, where you get good prices are with LEs and REs. Cohiba Sublimes are still €19 each if you can find them.

Last years Cohiba Gran Reservas are €675 for the box, €45 each, again if you can find them.

This link will give you current prices.

http://www.cmtabacos.es/wwwcmt/paginas/ES/webInicio.tmpl

Click on "Precios de Labores" towards the bottom of the left hand column.

On the next page, click "Cigarros" in the second list box, then the "Consultar Precios" button.

Estanco price on the left, +15% on the right

Can't help you with Barajas airport I'm afraid

Some infos from my side :

1) When you fly from Madrid to Oporto (MAD-OPO) you are flying a domestic - that is intra-european - flight, so you will NOT be able to buy Duty Free.

2) Prices at ANY airport in Spain are HIGHER than downtown when not Duty Free, as explained by Andy above, and selection is, except for MAD not really exciting.

3) Nevertheless, you get a much better price and selection in MAD than you will have anywhere in Portugal - so you might want to stock up.

4) I know and have bought a few times at the Cava ( they had RASCC normally not available in the Estancos ) - it's located right next to the ALDEASA Duty Free Shop. Selection is good but make sure you check the boxes for over-humidification, it happens. Their product is OK and they also have a good offer on cigar related stuff like lighters, books etc.

5) 2,5 hrs transit is NOT that much .........

6) Enjoy Oporto, a great and beautiful city - my favourite Hotel there is the Boa Vista, out by the beach.

Visit the Port houses in Vila Nova de Gaia across the bridge. Enjoy the fresh seafood. Take side trips down the coast or up the Douro river.

Have a good trip & experience !

Nino