Cuba Opens, Quality Drops?

:P

I have been pondering this topic recently. If Cuba opens to the US what will happen to the quality of the cigars? Reading El Presidente's comments on the Gran Reserva that 33% currently are "Great" the current quality is spotty at best. When you look at consistency nothing beats the Padron 1964 and 1926 line. I have NEVER had a bad one, they are the same time after time after time...Why? I think is because of impecable quality control the Padron family uses. This is lacking in Cuba and I have a fear that when the US opens the pressure of a giant new market will be too much for the country to take and production will be ramped up with a degredation of quality. This is one of the reasons I have been trying to stock up for the last year or so on the Cuban cigars. If I am right, I will have a personal stash to last for some time. What are the thoughts out there?

:P

I have been pondering this topic recently. If Cuba opens to the US what will happen to the quality of the cigars? Reading El Presidente's comments on the Gran Reserva that 33% currently are "Great" the current quality is spotty at best. When you look at consistency nothing beats the Padron 1964 and 1926 line. I have NEVER had a bad one, they are the same time after time after time...Why? I think is because of impecable quality control the Padron family uses. This is lacking in Cuba and I have a fear that when the US opens the pressure of a giant new market will be too much for the country to take and production will be ramped up with a degredation of quality. This is one of the reasons I have been trying to stock up for the last year or so on the Cuban cigars. If I am right, I will have a personal stash to last for some time. What are the thoughts out there?

Politically that will never happen. Obama will never open up trade with Cuba because of the political implications of losing the state of florida in the next elections. Also he would be viewed as weak and soft on communism. It would be a political nightmare.

:o

I Agree,and have posted as such.

The cuban manufacturers could not deal with the extra demand,without lowering standards.

The Nicaraguan I reviewed earlier already had a better standard of build than many Cubans.

Cuba is beginning to take the road toward capitalism proper.Poor Buggers.

Cuba is beginning to take the road toward capitalism proper.Poor Buggers.

Except that it's the government side of things which causes the greatest woes.

What happens post embargo is pure speculation until it happens. There has been as of yet unconfirmed talk of cigars being held in reserve for when

the market opens up. Of tobacco held in reserve. Prime plantable fields to add raw material. I also recall Rob mentioning that distributors around the

world have already been warned that their allotments will be reduced to help meet potential U.S. demand. So in theory, at least, they would not

necessarily have to increase production to an unmanageable degree. But again, it's all a guessing game.

Agree with Colt, lots of rumors and no way to know for sure. That said, it is my belief that price will severely increase no matter what happens quality wise. I would expect both across the board online and, of course, when US taxes are applied. $350-400 for boxes of PSD4 and RASS would not surprise me.

Agree with Colt, lots of rumors and no way to know for sure. That said, it is my belief that price will severely increase no matter what happens quality wise. I would expect both across the board online and, of course, when US taxes are applied. $350-400 for boxes of PSD4 and RASS would not surprise me.

I think price increases are a given over the next 12-18 months due to the gradual decrease of the current glut and adjustment to currency rates.

As for Cuba, who knows. No one argues the great construction of Padron or Fuente but at the same time I don't know anyone with choice who smoke 100% from either Marque. For me they have never delivered brilliance/Nirvana. Some very good experiences, lovely change of pace cigars but never a mind blowing experience.

Cubans may be inconsistent SOB's but they have that rare ability to reach cigar perfection. It is what keeps us going back. Without it we wouldn't bother.

I think price increases are a given over the next 12-18 months due to the gradual decrease of the current glut and adjustment to currency rates.

As for Cuba, who knows. No one argues the great construction of Padron or Fuente but at the same time I don't know anyone with choice who smoke 100% from either Marque. For me they have never delivered brilliance/Nirvana. Some very good experiences, lovely change of pace cigars but never a mind blowing experience.

Cubans may be inconsistent SOB's but they have that rare ability to reach cigar perfection. It is what keeps us going back. Without it we wouldn't bother.

Thanks Prez, I fully agree with your comments. The consistency of the construction of Padrons is incredible BUT it does not compare with the Phenomenal taste profiles I have been able to experience with Cubans, I smoke 95% Cuban, and will always do so. What a thought to have Padron get a farm in Cuba and see what they can do...

What a thought to have Padron get a farm in Cuba and see what they can do...

Cubans already in place can (and do) produce great quality cigars. As has been mentioned, the current system makes consistency a problem, and

perhaps makes it more profitable for the average worker to try and bypass the scrutiny of QC.

I wouldn't expect an "outsider" who has to deal with the same system to fare much better. Also, I think it makes sense that the people who've toughed

it out under the current system get first shot if / when competition opens up.

I can only imagine what Padron and Fuente could do with Cuban tobacco. Best of both worlds I think would be likely.

Currently, only PAN Anniversario 1926's and God of Fire by Carlito have real estate in my humis.

I can only imagine what Padron and Fuente could do with Cuban tobacco. Best of both worlds I think would be likely.

Currently, only PAN Anniversario 1926's and God of Fire by Carlito have real estate in my humis.

May I ask what is the RRP price-point of those two cigars? The reason I ask is that neither are readily available overseas and when they are, they are in the new Behike price category.

Nice three way Taste test right there :D

Does anyone have info on what precentage of Cuban cigar exports went to the US in pre embargo times? I'd be curious to know how the Cuban cigar industry looked back then and if any indications for the future can be drawn from it? eg, how was the quality back then, were there supply shortages, etc.

I hope nothing changes. Quality could go down, prices would surely go up. Currently it is the best of times for habanos lovers!!!

May I ask what is the RRP price-point of those two cigars? The reason I ask is that neither are readily available overseas and when they are, they are in the new Behike price category.

Nice three way Taste test right there :cigar:

B&M retails:

GoF Carlito 2008 Torpedo - $30 per (only two local B&M's - same owner- carries them at this price)

Padron 1926 Anniversario Natural - $25-$30 per (more commonly found and prices range)

--------------------

Give them your heart....they want your liver.

Those sticks arent favorites of mine, good yes, but also far to expensive.

I tend to stick with Illusione, Tatuaje and the Oliva's. Do you see those often oversees?

See them all the time stateside. Popular in B&M's and online cigar bidding website.

See them all the time stateside. Popular in B&M's and online cigar bidding website.

Yes... I picked up another box of Illusione mk's on the bid site. I picked up a box a few months ago from 2007 and they are amazing.

I am hoping the "new" box is newer than 2007 as to see what the difference is between them. I know they run very tight quality control on them.

Does anyone have info on what precentage of Cuban cigar exports went to the US in pre embargo times? I'd be curious to know how the Cuban cigar industry looked back then and if any indications for the future can be drawn from it? eg, how was the quality back then, were there supply shortages, etc.

Don't know that answer, but LOTS of Cuban tobacco was imported to Tampa, Florida and rolled into cigars there. And as an aside, I'm most grateful to have had multiple vists to Cuba- and China in the early 1980s, before McDonalds, Starbucks, etc diluted the culture.