Im making a humidor out of a thermoelectric wine cooler with some heartfelt 70% RH beads and a De Viel humidifier. I have looked into it a fair bit on the internet and every one seems to store there cigars in the original boxes inside the fridge. However all my cigars on trays in my excisting humidor. I was planning on just transfering the trays to the new fridgeador whens its up and running. Is this ok, any ideas? Im sure its ok

Im making a humidor out of a thermoelectric wine cooler with some heartfelt 70% RH beads and a De Viel humidifier. I have looked into it a fair bit on the internet and every one seems to store there cigars in the original boxes inside the fridge. However all my cigars on trays in my excisting humidor. I was planning on just transfering the trays to the new fridgeador whens its up and running. Is this ok, any ideas? Im sure its ok

I'm certainly not an expert on using a wine cooler but you should be ok. Just as long as you can maintain temp and RH. It shouldn't matter if you store the cigars in existing trays or in their original boxes.

Check this post out. Same setup with cigars stored in trays.

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...showtopic=96024

I think the reason for using a termoelectic is to avoid the big tempature swings. As I understand it, TE works on some crazy electric principle where the electricity is used to cool a plate in the wineador. Unlike the compressor units, there are no moving parts, so they turn off and on more frequently to provide a more stable temp range, where a compressor model will wait till it drops quite a few degrees before turning on and cooling everything quickly. I am not absolutley certain of this, and if I am wrong, one of you physics majors please correct me.

I have a cusinart with built in fan, and it works stellar. I have sp cedar shelves which also helps stabalize the R/H, and put spacers between boxes to allow more circulation. Because humidity rises, I keep a mix of 65 and 70 beads in the bottom, and it holds 67-67 almost perfectly throughout. I think you'll be really happy with it, only problem with mine is it's too small! lol

post-6206-1270794480.jpg

I have a 28 bottle Vinotemp...3 years and going strong...In the winter i unplug it and take out the beads and it rocks at 65/65

In the summer i plug it in...put in half pound Heartfelts and i get 60-67rh and 61-67F..i have the fridge in my office in the basement...

It works great for me...cigars stored in there original boxes....