Sancho Panza Belicoso

Wrapper: Colorado. Milky cocoa. Smooth and oily, no veins. Quite surprising for a SP. Was truly amazed when I saw this box in the shop.

Aroma: Nothing really to speak of

Draw: On the light side, but packed full of tobacco. Reminds me of a non-Cuban draw.

1st half: There was a distinct flavour evolution with this cigar, which occured over 2 halves rather than 3 thirds. The first third opened up gloriously, with a mouth full of cream and nuts, and a nose full of pepper. Accompanied with a scotch and coke, which seemed to ccent the flavour. Body is light-medium.

Strangely, if it wasn't for the SP band, I'd have thought this was a Bolivar. Don't remember SP ever having this flavour profile. It was always more of a savoury cigar.

2nd half: Complete backflip. No cream, no nuts. What I got was a mouthful of earth and chocolate. The earth I got was quite dry. Reminded me a bit of dirt, and chocolate was unsweetened. The cigar was quite tart, and I could see why people describe SPs as "salty".

At the nub, the cigar became vegetal, and the nuts returned slightly. The vegetal flavour was something comparable to capsicum.

I'd call this a complex and interesting cigar. One to be smoked for the experience. Something that requires concentration and attention. Th combustion was exremely fast, and I got through the stick in about 50 mins. Burn was something to behold. A perfect 10/10.

Legendary cigar. Despite the fact the the presentation is pretty average, do not overlook this gem.

92/100

Fascinating review, Kanga -

I've never tried this cigar, but will be on the lookout now.

Any idea of the age on your sample?

Would've been an 08.

The odd thing is that the band on this cigar was so poorly printed that the "Habana" at the top of the circle was almost cut off, as it was printed crooked. I was even suspicious that they were fakes, as the caps were really varied.

I smoked one with code PAR JUL 02 today, and I had a completely different experience then you (sadly). The cigar was very one dimensional with the main flavor being lether. I had som floral notes from time to time. But a very boring cigar. I would rate this 70/100 at best.

But I will have to try a younger cigar after reading your review.

I smoked one with code PAR JUL 02 today, and I had a completely different experience then you (sadly). The cigar was very one dimensional with the main flavor being lether. I had som floral notes from time to time. But a very boring cigar. I would rate this 70/100 at best.

But I will have to try a younger cigar after reading your review.

The first one I tried was an 02 in Cuba in 2007. After that, I didn't smoke SP for a long time - it was too boring. Then I picked up an 07 in Barcelona last year, and it was amazing. Since then, I've been smoking them with great success.

Like Kanga, I can't testify as to whether or not 2002 was a good/bad year for the SP Belicoso, but I have smoked SP Belicosos from both 2007 and 2008, and have found them to be exceptional cigars. My favorite vitola in the SP line.