How long can you wait before breaking a box?

I'm a bit of all mentioned...Have lots of aged stock, smoked right off the truck, and I like to sample through ageing.

Yeah I'm the same. Smoking a cracker straight out the box just adds to the anticipation of what'll come when the rest age. And if it's a dud, when the turn out to be decent everyone's a winner :shead:

At the risk of changing the course of the discussion slightly (and at the risk of overstepping my bounds as a newbie on the forum), I'd be interesting in hearing from you aficionados (1) how many boxes do you generally keep on hand and (2) how do you store them for aging?

I'm in the early stages of building a collection. I'm starting to run out of space in three desktop humis.

My motto is "anything worth doing is worth doing to excess."

At the risk of changing the course of the discussion slightly (and at the risk of overstepping my bounds as a newbie on the forum), I'd be interesting in hearing from you aficionados (1) how many boxes do you generally keep on hand and (2) how do you store them for aging?

I'm in the early stages of building a collection. I'm starting to run out of space in three desktop humis.

No worries mate, although there is a newbie section so maybe check that out.

Also, your best bet for now is to trawl though some of the extensive threads on humidors, what type, how large, the climate you live in etc to determine how to store them. How much you're willing to spend also makes a difference. Difficult to give a smoking:ageing ratio as there's a good number on here who just have desktops like yourself, some with decent sized humis and some with full-on walk ins. I would take it easy first though, and get your set up right before worrying too much about how many boxes you are ageing. You can always buy aged boxes...

enjoy :2thumbs:

Welcome to FOH...

1. I generally keep about 10 to 12 boxes around which I store in a cooledor. I also have three humidors which hold about 500 cigars in total. The humidors are filled with singles left over from earlier boxes or cigars I have purchased in packs/samplers, or singles to try. So all in all I have about 700 or so cigars at home at any given time.

2. In terms of aging...any long term aging I do is stored in the Online Humidor System offered by our FOH host. Any CCs I am purchasing for aging is stored by Czar in my OHS. This keeps them out of site, and makes it easier for me to avoid the temptation of breaking into them. Check out the info on the right hand margin of this site, or simply send Lisa an e-mail to inquire about it. I know some members don't use it, but I find it to be invaluable.

I age only cigars that I have tried and know that I like. Before I make a box purchase of anything, I will have had to have smoked it previously and liked it. Hope this helps...

The Wine Fridge is quite popular for storing cigars these days. Especially among members of the forum. They usually humidify them with RH Beads.

All information you can find in the "Humidor Tutorial" section of the forum.

In fact, I just got one myself the other day! Looking forward to filling it! ;)