Digital hygrometer

I have never had luck with digital hygrometers up here in Alaska. I use analog ones with synthtic hair (made in Italy) that have been dead on. I recently decided to try out this Xikar digital one, and see how it worked out. I set it at 75% in the salt procedure, and let it sit for 24 hours inside the baggie. I again set the meter at 75%. I took it out, and immediately placed it in humidor after humidor, and get readings anywhere from 50-56%. All of my other hygrometers show the humidity at 65%, including electronic hygrometers. There is no debate that the humidity is 65% in my humidifiers. I even took the Xikar out, and put it back in the salt baggie. I ended up with a reading way below 75%.

Does anyone know what might be going on? Why do they readings always drop below the actual humidity? Even taking it out for an hour seems to drop the future readings forever. The only way i can get an accurate reading it to leave in in the salt baggie for 24 hours and hit the reset button. Once it is removed, it will never show 75% again!

I bought the same hygro and experienced the same thing.

I'm thinking two things; 1) it's a bad hygro or 2) the battery is weak and needs to be replaced. I haven't done #2 yet because I've had great luck with the "Western Caliber III Digital Hygrometer."

One of these days I'll replace the battery to see if that's the problem.

(I just checked the battery and it's weak, so this could be the problem.)

With RH beads, hygros are almost rendered extinct; I now use them for a trend indicator.

I dont know about the hygrometers from Xikar.... Sounds like something is wrong though and perhaps it should be replaced.

I´m using the digital adjustable ones from Heartfelt Industries accompanied by the Boveda calibration kit. I got four of them at the moment and all of them works like a charm.

I have found a lot of digital hygros suffer from accuracy issues. This is pretty evident when temperature changes.

To check, do your salt test thing at a known temperature.

Then do the test again at a different temp. Be sure to make sure the temp it's controlled and steady.

You will see a large % difference on most hygros.

Some while cite physics, thermodynamics and vapur points ect... but the long story short is that the readings will be different on the hygros.

Agree with Bart...the Boveda Calibration Kit is much more accurate IMHO and with less fussing about. Temperature like rob pointed out is extremely important. Be sure the calibrate it at the temperature that your cigars are stored at. Finally...analog or digital, there will always be a +/- factor to the readings. How much depends on the quality of the instrument. Obviously if you are like Piggy, you will want to spend more and get a professional hygrometer rather than the standard digitals most of us use. Also...as stated before beads really eliminate the need for a hygrometer...you can never have too many beads.

Thanks for the help. I did change the batteries, and still same problem. I calibrate, then the whole number changes within a day or two. I give up on the digitals. I will stick with my analog and beads.

• 6 months later...

Just thought I'd wake this thread up again.

I'm looking at getting a couple of new digital hygrometers, and I was looking at options.

I saw a new one that Xikar has out, but I don't know what to think:

post-6965-1282531546.jpg

post-6965-1282531552.jpg

I used to use one of those "Little Havana" ones, the little black ones that are in the shape of a cigar almost? It worked great, but it's something that's always been in my desktop humidors - I want something a bit different for my newer cabinet.

I plan on putting one in the top drawer and then one attached to the front edge of the main shelf - that way, both can be seen easily through the glass.

I'm just wondering who's had good luck / bad luck with any other particular models out there.

When you callibrate you have to be careful to do it at the correct temperature. The Bovida ones recommend about 17 degrees C from memory. I was doing it at about 14 degrees at first and I found similar issues - i.e. inconsistent readings (these are heartfelt type ones - Hygroset brand of both shapes). After recallibrating them all at a stable temperature at the recommended temperature they have been great. Also, when callibrating it is important to be patient, leave in a sealed environment for at least 24 hours for accurate readings.

Edit: just noted that others (Rob etc) have allready brought up the temperature at callibration thing - sorry must read properly. But this caught me out originally and when I pay attention to this I have no problems! The Bovida packs are cheap and very accurate, for the cost of the cigars most of us have it is minimal. Likely less than the cost of a single cigar.

I just had a custom humidor 100ct desk top made. And I chose the xicar hygo and humidifier and it stays a constant 70% the only time it changes is when the lids is open for a bit. I think it is most likely a flaw with that product that you have. They have a warranty. Good luck