Quintero Londres Extra

laficion

This is indeed a fine addition on FOH. I'm glad we are finally talking about these small

and inexpensive cigars that I'm sure alot of us have enjoyed on a daily

bases. These cigars are what they are, nothing fancy or complicated, just good

little cigars to pass the time away.

One such cigar is, Quintero, Londres Extra. Petit corona.

Now here is a brand that was one of the biggest producers in Cuba in the 1900's.

Quintero was well known around the world and particularly well appreciated in Spain,

as it still is today.

One of the most unusual things about Quintero is the fact that it was registered as

a Habana brand in 1930, but not produced in La Habana, the factory was in Cienfuegos.

Quintero, Londres Extra is a PC with no pretentions other then being a good small Puro

with dominate tastes of Earth , Cedar & leather. small hints of spice and with some after

tastes of dark coffee, the cigar is medium to full bodied.

If you've never tried the Quintero brand, give it a try and I'm sure you'll be convinced.

Oh, Just on a side note,, before the revolution, Quintero also made other different brands

in it's factory such as , La Riqueza, El Triunfador and quit a few others.

Here Here, haven't I heard of these two brands already ?? ;);)

Milles mercis, Guy.

I must admit it, I am a Quinteros fan.

This is a love it or hate it brand, as they all have a distinctive taste and even texture to the smoke.

To me, they are strong in the sense that they have an extremely deep and rich body,

which is felt in the back of the mouth and the throat,

but they are medium to mild in terms of taste on the tongue.

All this accentuates as the cigars age.

I think this is why some smokers describe Quinteros as strong, others as mild.

The body is so rich, they can give a feeling of fullness in the belly,

especially with my preferred vitola, the Brevas.

I wouldn't advise smoking one just before dinner, as it could kill your appetite.

I also smoke the Panetelas and the Puritos, and they share this character, in a lesser way.

It looks like the Londres Finos have moved up on my to-get list.

Not sure I see the logic on this one...

Could you explain your reasoning a little bit?

It was intended as a bit of humor. Pete Johnson outside his Tatuaje line also has a few others. Two of those other lines are named La Riqueza and El Triunfador. There are many who believe that companies like General Cigar and others who usurp the old Cuban labels are improperly captializing on Cuban brand names...whether they are currently in use or not. Johnson was recently sued by Ataldis for his use of the Fleur de Lys and settled out of court. I just find it humorous that he has also usurped the use of two of Cubas old brands...

This is indeed a fine addition on FOH. I'm glad we are finally talking about these small

and inexpensive cigars that I'm sure alot of us have enjoyed on a daily

bases. These cigars are what they are, nothing fancy or complicated, just good

little cigars to pass the time away.

One such cigar is, Quintero, Londres Extra. Petit corona...

Guy,

I appreciate how you share your deep knowledge of all things cigar related. You're a true connoisseur. Thanks

Milles mercis, Guy.

Avec plaisir l' ami,

Yes, I agree with you on the richness of body and the mildness in taste of the Quinteros.

The Brevas have a lot in common today, in taste but not in looks, with what is called ,

the Peso cigar or If you will, the cigars for national consumption, such as "El credito "

in Santiago de Cuba and "Villamil" in Havana, passing by"Bauza" in the center of the Island,

near the city of Santi Spiritus. Most of these peso cigars are also about the same size,

4.8 by 40.

If you travel to Cuba, don't hesitate to buy these

cigars by the bundle.

For the price of 1 euro for 25 cigars, I don't think you'll regret smoking these cigars ;)

Avec plaisir l' ami,

Yes, I agree with you on the richness of body and the mildness in taste of the Quinteros.

The Brevas have a lot in common today, in taste but not in looks, with what is called ,

the Peso cigar or If you will, the cigars for national consumption, such as "El credito "

in Santiago de Cuba and "Villamil" in Havana, passing by"Bauza" in the center of the Island,

near the city of Santi Spiritus. Most of these peso cigars are also about the same size,

4.8 by 40.

If you travel to Cuba, don't hesitate to buy these

cigars by the bundle.

For the price of 1 euro for 25 cigars, I don't think you'll regret smoking these cigars ;)

In November, I picked up 8 bundles of Villaamil while in Cuba.

I also have some left from a couple of years ago.

I will be posting a full review, hopefully with photos, shortly.

Chen don't you mean revived?!? Bringing back these marques for the betterment of all mankind!

Some may call it revive, but I consider it usurping...let your product stand on its own merit. Why try to capitalize on a historic brand (even though it may not be in use), when your product bears no real similarity to the original incarnation of said brand. Honestly...while it may not be a violation of trademark law in the states, it still irks me. Though I can understand why some say revive...Pete seems to have developed a cult following, and while I have smoked many of his cigars, I feel that they are just decent not great...except maybe for the Noella Reserva...that cigar was exceptional.

Guest SnakeHips

Thanks for the review. I just bought a box of these, actually. Tasty little buggers, and a nice little size to smoke in the office at work. I tacked a box onto an order, as I remembered liking very much a Breva but wanted something a bit smaller for my purposes.

In November, I picked up 8 bundles of Villaamil while in Cuba.

I also have some left from a couple of years ago.

I will be posting a full review, hopefully with photos, shortly.

Can't wait for that review as I am already thinking about what sticks to bring back with me from the island. Won't be going for awhile, but still wanted to read a detailed review about these cigars meant exclusively for the Cuban proletariat.

Some may call it revive, but I consider it usurping...let your product stand on its own merit.

I agree with you - I was being facetious. If anything, it's the kind of doublespeak that probably makes some of these guys feel OK about

what they're doing.

Perhaps, but at best, it's unimaginative.

MMM, well if that is the benchmark that cigar makers have to meet now... LOL!! maybe he'll come out with a "book" LMAO.

I ain't a fanboy, but I like some of his smokes.

He has said many times that he isn't re-inventing the wheel and openly admits copying cuban presentation. He is a huge cuban fan.

I guess though, I wonder why anyone would care about brands that 99,999% of the cigar smoking public had never heard of. And frankly, since I love cuban cigar tradition, I kinda like seeing a modern twist on it. I don't see that as a problem in anyway.

The "boutique" makers have revitalized a stagnant market. I give Pete, and others, props...

Sorry for the threadjack...

I actually like Quintero's on occasion. I have gone through a couple of boxes of Brevas over the years. Not great, but not bad. Definately better than 90% of the non-cuban offerings out there.

• 3 months later...

I've just acquired a bit of a bargain box of aged quintero nacionales,and some fonseca cosacos.

The thinking was,the quintero may not be good,but the foseca should be....

Quite the opposite was true.

The quintero were from 01,and are quite a rough looking bugger.Lovely...earthy,woody,strong initially but smooth on the throat,geeting a bit of spice at the end.

The fonseca are from 08,and at the moment are as rough as chuff,well,a bit rough for me.so I'll leave em in the humi for a couple of months.They do smooth off at the end,but still..

Funny,I shouldn't have pre judged the quintero...

• 3 weeks later...