pisco

Ken Gargett

I have several different brands of Pisco as my wife comes from Chile (La Serena) and in fact, we're heading that way from the 5th January 2010 (Not long to go!) One of my favourites is BarSol pisco, Alto de Carmen Pisco and Capel. :)Pisco especial 'Mal Paso' is also excellent and is considered a top quality drink.

Pisco is considered Chiles national drink. The Pisco grapes grow on the vine until the regions unique conditions of temperature and sun produce the high content of sugar, which is responsible for the fine taste and bouquet of Pisco.

Most people drink Pisco mixed (Pisco Sour) but I have rather enjoyed it mixed with a blend of strong coffee and milk which is then served chilled and called (Spelling may be incorrect?) "Callemuno" - "Monkeys tail". The milk and coffee pisco mix is similar in taste to Baileys but slightly darker in colour and stronger in coffee taste and alcohol. When drinking it this way, it's very easy to drink an entire litre as it goes down so easy but then all of a sudden, it does creep up on ya and you do feel the alcohol/sugar hit you! :D

Whilst some do drink Pisco straight, I must admit, most do not and regardless of age (Some piscos are very clear like Vodka and some dark like a nice Scotch) it does resemble 'Grappa" in flavour, maybe a tad sweeter however. :)

I'll ask my wife for the recipe of 'Callemuno' and post it for you.