Danny Green Aussie Legend

Green makes a name for himself

ABC - December 3, 2009, 12:00 pm

post-5203-1259819108.jpg

IBO cruiserweight world champion Danny Green says he has secured his place in Australian boxing history with his win over boxing legend Roy Jones Jr.

Green stunned the boxing world last night when he stopped Jones just two minutes into the first round of their fight in Sydney.

Jones, an eight time world champion who has beaten some of the biggest names in boxing over the past 16 years, was left reeling after taking a solid Green right hand to the temple.

The referee stopped the fight shortly after as an opportunist Green pounded the dazed American with a flurry of punches.

Despite going into the fight as a rank outsider, Green said he was always confident of winning.

"I told you someone's getting knocked out," he said.

"I almost apologised to Roy Jones after it because he's such a legend. I grew up idolising the bloke.

"But that's business. That's sport. I just solidified my legacy worldwide and in boxing worldwide everyone knows my name worldwide.

"It's got to be one of Australia's greatest victories by a fighter ever."

Green said used his doubters to motivate him to victory.

"No one gave me a chance and thanks for those people. Thanks for people who doubted me," he said.

"Everyone wrote me off. But there was a particular few who didn't. And to those people just showed you why.

"Thank you to those people who didn't doubt me and thank you to the masses who doubted me."

The Australian admitted the result he may have ended the boxing career of Jones Jr.

The 40-year-old American had already signed for a big money fight against Bernard Hopkins in the New Year.

But Green says it is unlikely that fight will take place.

"It's gone. That fight has finished. Finito. Just finished Roy Jones," he said.

"I don't like saying that because I love the bloke and I admire the bloke. But that's got to be the end of Roy Jones."

Oz Danniy Green is an aussie legend and all round nice guy :)

post-5203-1259819109.jpg