Alcohol for an engagement party?

Smooth

Security issues aside, the only item left to tick off for our engagement party is purchasing the alcohol. Food is being catered by a close friend who is an absolute princess and will be canape's etc... Essentially drinking food!

So, we are having approx 50 guests.

Beer, wine, champagne will be provided. What mix and amount of each would you or have you offered at a similar function?

It's always hard to gauge exactly. I reckon something like...

- 4-5 cartons of beer (inc. 1-2 cartons of light beer within that total). Corona is a crowd pleaser.

-A mixed dozen of wines (2-3 reds, 4 each of white and sparkling). Maybe a few extra sparkling bottles on top for when it comes time for "cheers!!"

-A decent size bowl of punch (something decent like a midori illusion). Also instead of punch you could hire a daiquiri maker machine. no idea of hire cost but they are always very popular and low maintenance.

That would probably be heaps. I'd also check the weather forecast and buy beers on 'two for' specials.

Cheers mate

I supplied all of the alchohol for my wedding. I bought from one of our big box beverage stores that allow you to return unopened wine, beer cases, and liquor bottles so I just got way more than I needed and took back what we didn't use. If you have something like that then i highly recomment that route. If not here is a drink calculator that may help.

http://www.evite.com/pages/party/drink-calculator.jsp

Many thanks for the advice guys :D

Dicko, I was thinking along the same lines as what you suggested but after consulting the drink calc that Rogers72 posted may have to up the bottles of wine quite a bit. Im friends with some seasoned drinkers :rotfl:

Cheers again!

I brewed all the beer for my wedding reception as well as the mead for the wedding toast. We had roughly 60 people or so, and I brewed 30 gallons of beer. We also had 5 gallons of cream soda (non alcoholic) that I made and various bottles of wine.

We very nearly ran out... I think I had a very small part of one 5 gallon keg of my scottish 70/- left (because I finally hid it) and that was about it.

-- Gary F.