Increasing Humidity in Vinotemp Cooler

hellring

I have a 12 bottle count Vinotemp Wine cooler that I have converted into a humidor. I fitted the inside of the wine cooler with ceder wood and use 1 pound of heartfelt beads to regulate humidity. I also have two oust fans running. In the last few days my humidity has gone down to 60% RH and I am having a problem increasing the RH to 65%. I have rehumidifed my beads but still no increase in humidity. Any suggestions on how to increase the RH in my vinotemp would be greatly appreciated.

James

I have a 12 bottle count Vinotemp Wine cooler that I have converted into a humidor. I fitted the inside of the wine cooler with ceder wood and use 1 pound of heartfelt beads to regulate humidity. I also have two oust fans running. In the last few days my humidity has gone down to 60% RH and I am having a problem increasing the RH to 65%. I have rehumidifed my beads but still no increase in humidity. Any suggestions on how to increase the RH in my vinotemp would be greatly appreciated.

James

My initial thought is to add an extra source of moisture - if you have room, a small bowl of water. If that works / helps, you may need more beads.

Has your cooler been holding humidity well for a while?

Unplug it for a few days. I have mine in the basement and its been unplugged most of the summer. The temp and humidity are ideal down there (65/65 +or- a couple- it fluctuates). I will move it upstairs this winter and plug it back in. I use only 1/2 lb of the 65% beads in a 16bottle Vinotemp. Good Luck!

In the last few days my humidity has gone down to 60% RH and I am having a problem increasing the RH to 65%. I have rehumidifed my beads but still no increase in humidity. Any suggestions on how to increase the RH in my vinotemp would be greatly appreciated.

James

Assuming your system is well constructed and not faulty - it can not lose moisture at the rate your describe. The water, whether it be liquid or vapour (RH) cant just disappear.

So, if your RH is dropping - I recommend you check the bottom of your fridge, or the drip collection tray, for condensed liquid.

If, as I suspect, you have liquid there I recommend you put the temp up a few points - the more difference between the outside air temp and the fridge internal temp - the more condensation will be forming... and vice versa.

A lesson is also to be aware and meticulous with keeping your cigar boxes away from areas that condensation forms and pools.

If on the other hand you have no condensation it can be only one of two things forcing your RH to drop.

a) the system has an air leak, and is not sealed.

b ) The contents of the the fridge are so dry that they are sucking up whatever moisture they can find. However, this is quite unlikely.

Good luck.

My winedor actually works surprisingly better than i ever expected it too. I dont have mine outfitted with spanish cedar, or anything else too fancy, and it seems to hold humidity really good. I have what i estimate to be about a half pound of silica kitty litter and the humidity stays right at 65% as does the temp. Maybe im lucky or maybe ignorance is bliss and my hygrometer is broken. They smoke just like theyre supposed to though.

Has it been running more lately? I have an Avanti (similar to the vinotemp) 28 bottle wine cooler. I use 65% beads and I live in Arizona. During the summer when mine runs all the time my humidity drops to around 60%. If I turn it off it jumps back to 65-66. I prefer low 60's and since I can't turn it off I'm satisfied with low 60's. I don't know the science behind it but humidity will drop if the cooler is running more.