Shiraz grenache recommendations

dicko

I've really been enjoying this blend of late (likewise GSM).

Three good aussie wines I've enjoyed have been the paxtons AAA, d'arenberg "darry's original" and to a lesser extent (for me anyway) the st hallet gameskeeper. all under or around $20 aud. all great

Anyone had any similar good experiences? Any others floating around that are great? maybe some overseas ones...

:rotfl:

Any others floating around that are great? maybe some overseas ones...

My standby for this blend is the Guigal Côtes du Rhône. I believe the blend varies a bit depending on vintage, but I personally find it to

be consistently good and relatively inexpensive.

My standby for this blend is the Guigal Côtes du Rhône. I believe the blend varies a bit depending on vintage, but I personally find it to

thanks Colt, I'll pick up a couple of these

you should be able to still find the 2005, which is a cracker. just got some for the annual fishing trip. in good years, like 05 and 03, this represents one of the greatest buys on the planet. less so in lesser years.

you should be able to still find the 2005, which is a cracker. just got some for the annual fishing trip. in good years, like 05 and 03, this represents one of the greatest buys on the planet. less so in lesser years.

KG, if I'm not mistaken, the '05 is a 50/50 blend of syrah and grenache.

KG, if I'm not mistaken, the '05 is a 50/50 blend of syrah and grenache.

colt, i've seen different %'s quoted but i believe that is it, or very close. usually about 50% grenache, 25% syrah and 25% mourvedre. assume that 05 either not a good year for mourvedre (though would be surprised re that) or that it didn't suit the blend, or the blend didn't need it.

• 1 month later...

Colt, I picked up a bottle of the 05 today and it is a very nice wine! Lighter body than my aussie ones but just as flavoursome. Enjoyed with a steak and salad. Thanks for the suggestion!

Colt, I picked up a bottle of the 05 today and it is a very nice wine! Lighter body than my aussie ones but just as flavoursome. Enjoyed with a steak and salad. Thanks for the suggestion!

Good to hear! Yes, it is different in "style" than those from Oz or elsewhere - as it should be :D You've reminded me that I need to pick up more myself.