HSA Hard Sell of the Monte Open

Hi

I have just returned from the Spanish island of Majorca (we have a family owned villa in a small town called Puerto Pollensa that my wife and I visit a couple of times a year). Anyway, there is a lovely Tabac (cigarette/cigar store) that I pick up a single cigar from each evening to have after dinner - saves the hassle of packing a lot of cigars to take away with me and there always used to be a good choice (PSD4's, HDM epi's, Boli RC's etc).

Anyway, on my recent visit, the small humidor was taken over by the full range of "Open" cigars, with the other brands no longer being sold as singles (other than Cohiba's). I tried the Regatta and the Master - absolutely tasteless, like smoking thin air. Awful! I gave up after the first night and bought a 25 box of PSD4's - much more like it!

However, the above experience does point towards HSA pushing the open line, particularly towards the casual smoker who may only have a few cigars a year. What a shame that a lot of peoples first experience of the cuban leaf will be a Open Junior rather than a Monte 4 - they will probably wonder (quite rightly) what the fuss is about - and that will be a great shame for cigars and harmful to HSA in the long run.

Hi

I have just returned from the Spanish island of Majorca (we have a family owned villa in a small town called Puerto Pollensa that my wife and I visit a couple of times a year). Anyway, there is a lovely Tabac (cigarette/cigar store) that I pick up a single cigar from each evening to have after dinner - saves the hassle of packing a lot of cigars to take away with me and there always used to be a good choice (PSD4's, HDM epi's, Boli RC's etc).

Anyway, on my recent visit, the small humidor was taken over by the full range of "Open" cigars, with the other brands no longer being sold as singles (other than Cohiba's). I tried the Regatta and the Master - absolutely tasteless, like smoking thin air. Awful! I gave up after the first night and bought a 25 box of PSD4's - much more like it!

However, the above experience does point towards HSA pushing the open line, particularly towards the casual smoker who may only have a few cigars a year. What a shame that a lot of peoples first experience of the cuban leaf will be a Open Junior rather than a Monte 4 - they will probably wonder (quite rightly) what the fuss is about - and that will be a great shame for cigars and harmful to HSA in the long run.

your last comment is spot on. they probably thnk that they better sell them and so pushing hard but they would be infinitely better off long term by having one giant barbecue and never letting them darken a humidor again.

Anyway, on my recent visit, the small humidor was taken over by the full range of "Open" cigars, with the other brands no longer being sold as singles (other than Cohiba's).

Did you talk to anyone in the store about this - I'm wondering if this was done intentionally to move the opens?