Note By Note on PBS

A few nights ago I watched a program on PBS called note by note, about the making of Steinway concert grand pianos. It showed that there is

quite a bit of hand craftsmanship that goes into the making of each piano, which leads to no two pianos being exactly alike in tonal character

when finished.

It hit me how much this reminded me of the production of the Havana cigar - each and every one unique even when the finished cigars are very close

in overall traits to each other. And as much as I've talked about consistency, I've come to the realization that as long as a cigar's flavor and draw are

to my liking, that I do kind of look forward to what differences the next cigar from a box may bring.

The more I learn, the less I know........

I saw that Doco and thought it was great. I always admire how much talent people have for certain things and those piano craftsmen were fantastic.

I couldn't comment as to whether or not the craftspeople that make cigars enjoy it as much as the piano craftsmen do.... but I sincerely hope they do. I cant imagine they would make cigars for a living if given the choice and diversity of occupation we in democratic countries do.