Humidor - check it out

Dear FOHers. This probably should be in "Humidor Tutorial", but hardly anyone ever looks in there!

Found this second hand humidor from a reputable vendor for a decent price. It was on display in their shop for a few years (therefore has some scratches etc.) What do you think?

post-5224-1251718692.jpg

Description: Size is 19"tall x 12"wide x 11"deep. Each tray can take up to 26 double corona size or 50 petit corona size cigars.

Has “minor cosmetic imperfections” mostly on top of the lacquer/varnish finish and are fully functional humidor units supplied with full humidifying device and humidor set up and care kit.

Damage:

post-5224-1251718792.jpg

post-5224-1251718843.jpg

Cost: USD 487 / GBP 300

One concern - where do I put the beads when there are so many trays?

Is it worth it?

Cheers.

Looks nice, but pricey and not practical for box storage. If appearance is not paramount, recommend purchasing a thermoelectric cooler and adding humidity beads to that.

Looks nice, but pricey and not practical for box storage. If appearance is not paramount, recommend purchasing a thermoelectric cooler and adding humidity beads to that.

jquest63, thanks!

Would you be able to have a quick look at my other thread regarding this? In particular my final post.

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...showtopic=98399

Cheers!

My thoughts exactly......WINECOOLERS.COM has a ton of thermoelectric wine fridges

I have never bought anything from them but it's a great place to window shop.....check it out....

It is definitely a good looking humidor, aestheically speaking. Who is the manufacturer? The damage seems to be fairly minor, so not that significant if it is something you can live with. For me, it would be something I could deal with. However, given the size of the humidor and the fact that is has been on display for several years (thus the wear and tear) , I think that it is a bit on the expensive side. I think that you could likely find comparable humidors on line for a cheaper price. Although, I don't know how much it would cost to ship to Russia. That could be a key determining factor as well. I would do some more leg work though. As far as the humidification element, I would try The Puck. You could use one on each level if needed. They are small/compact, so they don't take up too much space, and work well. I use them myself in the humidor with drawers.

Read the post. If your dwelling is mainained above 70F, a thermoelectric cooler is the way to go. However, if you feel that temp is not an issue and a nice piece of furniture is what you want then I recommend an end table humidor. I purchased one online for under $400 with shipping that works quite well. It is fully lined with spanish cedar, has a drawer for singles, interior outlet w/ 2 plugs and a locking door. I control humidity with an oasis unit and a couple of interior fans. It looks like a nice piece of furniture and serves as a lamp table. Soon I will be cutting out the back to accomodate a thermoelectric cooler that I installed on a home made box, which is ugly and is hidden in a closet. Hope that helps.

In your other thread, you stated you are looking to expand your storage capacity, and as has been mentioned here, this humidor won't

be much help in storing boxes - in my opinion, it's really a slightly larger desktop.

I'd probably stick with your initial thought of a fridge, or go for a cabinet. In the meantime, while you are deciding what is best for you, don't be

afraid to go the beverage cooler route, even if only a temporary measure.

You can always use it for cold beers later :rotfl:

In your other thread, you stated you are looking to expand your storage capacity, and as has been mentioned here, this humidor won't

be much help in storing boxes - in my opinion, it's really a slightly larger desktop.

I'd probably stick with your initial thought of a fridge, or go for a cabinet. In the meantime, while you are deciding what is best for you, don't be

afraid to go the beverage cooler route, even if only a temporary measure.

You can always use it for cold beers later :rotfl:

Ha ha. It's around half the price for a new one.

This one looks awesome actually - http://www.humidor-import.de/teak-finis-hu...2e1b73e3536dcc7. Lots of room for singles and boxes (500 zigaren). Though I speak German, so maybe I misread...

Plus, Germany is sufficiently close to Russia for the shipping not to be ludicrously expensive...

Good work!

http://www.humidor-import.de/teak-finis-hu...2e1b73e3536dcc7

Wow - this one from germany at www.humidor-import.de looks great and the price is good too. Anyone seen one for sale in the States?

Sorry...I have not.