A couple of coolerdor pics

I was looking into a bigger humidor, and thought of using a cooler instead. Do you have any humidity issues? Other ones I have seen have cedar installed on the inside, and I was wondering if this is necessary. Also what humidification system are you using?

I was looking into a bigger humidor, and thought of using a cooler instead. Do you have any humidity issues? Other ones I have seen have cedar installed on the inside, and I was wondering if this is necessary. Also what humidification system are you using?

I don't believe that you need the cedar, if the coolerdor is for box storage. My humidity stays very stable, as long as I don't leave the cooler open too long. I use 65% humidity beads I picked up at heartfelt, and have had great results with them. I use 1 lbs of beads for a 120 quart cooler. I understand that I could use less, but I am a bit into overkill. :D

Have a great weekend.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

no such thing as overkill on the beads. I use 2 165qt coolers and have 3 lbs of beads in EACH one. I spread them out into 4 mesh bags throughout the cooler with 2 of the oust fans to circulate the air. Each one is absolutely rock solid through both the winter and summer months :D

Dave, I noticed your beads are looking discoloured. For other long time bead users, is that normal? I've never noticed any discolouration in my desk top humi beads.

It is normal that beads will discolor over time. I actually had a stick fall into the bowl of beads, when I had a few singles in the cooler. I now have a separate desktop, for singles I have been gifted.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

Very nice. I like your collection. This looks like a great and expensive way to store cigars for longer term durations. Thanks for sharing. 1 to 3 pounds of beads? Wow. That's a lot of beads.

Very nice, I think this is what I am going for. I keep seeing all of these other more expensive humidors, but my wife is not going to let it be out anywhere in the house, it is going to be in a closet or the basement so I might as well go this route.

Then I will have more money for cigars. :2thumbs:

Best regards, tony

Very nice, I think this is what I am going for. I keep seeing all of these other more expensive humidors, but my wife is not going to let it be out anywhere in the house, it is going to be in a closet or the basement so I might as well go this route.

Tony, a basement is an excellent place for a cooler. As has been mentioned, they really do maintain a very consistent climate with little muss or fuss.

My one suggestion would be to by a big one - at least a hundred quart.

I have 2 nearly full 165 qt coolers and they are great. At 69 boxes (about 20 are cabs) I can still find some room. If you look you should be able to find these on sale for under $50 each. Grab one or two of these, a couple of pounds of beads for each one and a few d battery operated oust fans and you have a perfect Humidor. I'm very happy with my setup.

I used coolerdors for awhile, but always worried about temperature issues. No way to keep temps down in the summer with a coolerdor. I finally bit the bullet and ordered an Aristocrat. If you don't have high temp issues, then a coolerdor is a great way to store your boxes.

I used coolerdors for awhile, but always worried about temperature issues. No way to keep temps down in the summer with a coolerdor. I finally bit the bullet and ordered an Aristocrat. If you don't have high temp issues, then a coolerdor is a great way to store your boxes.

Completely agree! Aristocrat is the way to go. The coolerdors provide some inexpensive storage for current production boxes...IMHO, plus I love my Aristocrat :unsure:

I live in Arkansas, so heat in the summer, is a major issue. One thing I noticed was that the coolers actually do a great job, at keeping the temp from fluctuating more than a few degrees. I have central heat and air, and I keep my house between 65 and 70 degrees, so both my cigars, and I am comfortable.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)