the swiss and fishing

Ken Gargett

i have been accused of destroying rob's swiss market in the past (not true, of course) and i assure you that this is not any further attempt to do so but, and i know that the swiss are a little different, i am utterly befuddled by their latest actions.

have just read a report that anyone now hoping to fish in switzerland (yes, landlocked and all, but apparently some 250,000 people still fish what they have) has to attend a course on humanely dispatching fish. this is, and i swear i am not making this up but rather it was in a local fishing mag, a course on whacking the poor fish with, and i quote, 'a sharp blow to the head with a blunt instrument'. you need a course on this?

granted, it is a good sentiment. but a course?

BUT and i am assuming the course is offered in order to best benefit the fish and not simply because some moronic tin hitler penpusher decided he'd fill his day by stuffing up others, there is also a ban on all catch and release fishing. what the hell is the purpose of that? the poor fish might have been harmed during capture and hence, better to off it? if i am a fish dragged kicking and flapping from my cosy cold stream, would i prefer being released or being whacked on the noggin? so if i catch something i do not want to keep, i cannot simply release it back into the wild but i actually have to kill it?

seriously, if we have any swiss out there, please explain? or anyone with any thoughts.

No offence Ken, but if i was a fish and got pulled out of my, as you say, "cosy cold stream" (I assuming you mean "cosy" as defined as "intimate and friendly" as opposed to "snug and warm") and saw you in your bunny hat, I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the whack on the head than live with that memory! :P

Especially if you partake of the Rex Hunt style of catch and release.

No offence Ken, but if i was a fish and got pulled out of my, as you say, "cosy cold stream" (I assuming you mean "cosy" as defined as "intimate and friendly" as opposed to "snug and warm") and saw you in your bunny hat, I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the whack on the head than live with that memory! :P

Especially if you partake of the Rex Hunt style of catch and release.

i will confess that the first time i caught a bonefish in cuba, i puckered up and gave it the full rexie. poor guide almost fell out of his punt. now he just talks about catching fish aussie style.

Ken, I am no fisherman (even thought I've been fishing in my early years...) so I just did that for you. :party:

I will make it short as it is not and I don't have much time :lol:

The government has passed a new law concerning all animals detention and hunting/fishing. So I read it yesterday while smoking a '03 Boli coXtra.

What you read was right but not precise enough. There is, in this new law, a new instruction, but it is only for pro fishermen. And it is a complete formation, meaning not only about whacking the poor fish.

Still when you see in which conditions the fishermen are working in Switz (yes there are also people in the need in switz and fishermen are some of them) you can ask yourself why they botter them with such a useless formation instead of trying to find solution to refill the rivers and lake with fish.... :perfect10:

But I haven't read anything about people fishing for pleasure.

if i am a fish dragged kicking and flapping from my cosy cold stream, would i prefer being released or being whacked on the noggin? so if i catch something i do not want to keep, i cannot simply release it back into the wild but i actually have to kill it?

seriously, if we have any swiss out there, please explain? or anyone with any thoughts.

and I haven't read anything about this... I've always heard friends going to fish and releasing there catch

thanks for that.

what i saw was in a fishing mag for amateurs rather than professionals but let us hope it doesn't apply to amateurs. would seem odd if it did.

would also seem odd with pros IMO.

I'll keep you update if I hear anything more precise.

Germany had some pretty strange fish and game laws along the same lines. Catch and kill only, Depending on where you were fishing you had to stay within a certain stream footage. Couldn't use metal baskets to keep fish, they had to be "rubber coated" metal.. Seemed kinda odd at the time but ah well, it's their country.

Mike