I came across this in the FAQ section of a website of a tobacconist from Europe. My brother is going to be traveling there, and he sent me the link to the site. I was looking through the website, and came what I thought was a disturbing excerpt from the FAQ section of the site:

Q: I received a box of cigars with mold on it, what should I do?

A: The mold is the sign of the last phase from the maturation process of the cigars. It is not unusual to see mold on aged cigars. As for new production, mold is a sign of over humidification, this problem can be resolved by brushing the cigars with a cloth or even with your fingers.

Now, it seems to me that this is an example of an actual tobacconist who is confusing mold with plume, and not realizing that it isn't a good idea, if you have actual mold on a cigar, to just brush it off and put the cigar back in your humidor. Would you buy cigars from this guy's humidor? Am I misunderstanding this?

I came across this in the FAQ section of a website of a tobacconist from Europe. My brother is going to be traveling there, and he sent me the link to the site. I was looking through the website, and came what I thought was a disturbing excerpt from the FAQ section of the site:

A: The mold is the sign of the last phase from the maturation process of the cigars. It is not unusual to see mold on aged cigars. As for new production, mold is a sign of over humidification, this problem can be resolved by brushing the cigars with a cloth or even with your fingers.

Now, it seems to me that this is an example of an actual tobacconist who is confusing mold with plume, and not realizing that it isn't a good idea, if you have actual mold on a cigar, to just brush it off and put the cigar back in your humidor. Would you buy cigars from this guy's humidor? Am I misunderstanding this?

Well, mold is NEVER a signe of "maturation". It's a sign that mold spores have grown on the leaf, nothing more nor less. Neither is "plume" the sign of maturation.

Assuming the mold is white and hasn't grown into the filler, it can safely be brushed off and the cigar smoked. Green mold is more insidious and in most cases cigars affected by it should be tossed out.

Well, mold is NEVER a signe of "maturation". It's a sign that mold spores have grown on the leaf, nothing more nor less. Neither is "plume" the sign of maturation.

Assuming the mold is white and hasn't grown into the filler, it can safely be brushed off and the cigar smoked. Green mold is more insidious and in most cases cigars affected by it should be tossed out.

Exactly right on all accounts. White mold = dust off and smoke. I've seen white mold on decades old cigars that have suffered not at all for the small spots here and there. Green mold, or worse, darker mold that has infiltrated the filler by the foot = kiss of death.

Keep in mind that the mold you see is in fact the fruiting body of the mold organism. The mold itself is the mycelium that has already penetrated the leaf. That is why a moldy cigar will resprout even after repeated attempts to dust off the visible mold.

Wilkey

• 3 months later...

Just got back from a week away, when i returned I found my desktop humidity rose to 80% and 3 sticks had a dusting of what looked like plume but is actually mold. I dusted all three smoked off and segregated them with a divider. The reason it the humidity rose is because I filled up the hygrometer, i have since taken it out to let the humidity return to 65%.

What should I do in this situation? remove from humi, or put in a ziplock in the fridge? any help would be great!

No, I would not buy cigars from this person. I would stay clear of this persons product. Mold is not welcome in any humidor, young cigars or aged.