"That cigar sucked. I think I'll buy another box..."

We have all seen the thread where we pick our favorite 'come back' cigar of the last year,

but I want to know which cigar you bought a box of, realized it was not only not very good but even lacked hope of potential -

then 6 months later you happen to mistakenly smoke another and - WOW! That is actually turning into something!

This thread is not for boxes where there were some bad sticks and a few good ones,

but those smokes you saw very little hope for but bloomed while you were not watching.

For me it is the Hoyo Epicure Especial.

They were nothing for the first few months, almost traded the rest of the box,

my most boring purchase.

But now it is becoming an amazing cigar in my taste. And i see lots of future for it.

Very enjoyable and constantly changing during its burn.

Having a hard time letting the remaining sticks flower they are so nice!

You?

My honours go to the first box of cubans I bought, a dress box of SLR Series A. The moment of wonder came when I had five cigars left. The same thing has happened several times since then but that occasion really sticks in my memory.

(I now have an ample number of SLR Series A in the humi...) :D

Off the top of my head, an '05 box of H. Upmann Magnum 46. They didn't totally suck, but early on were quite mundane - offering little flavor.

After three years or so, they really blossomed.

Before the year 2000 , the MAG 46s were only available in the UK and in Swizerland not

in the rest of Europe. They were the best havanas on the market because there was such a small

production of these beauties. Everyone was ready to cut off any part of their body to get a box.

When they finally started to produce them in masses they were soon available all over. At that

time I got myself a box ( date 01) since the only boxes I had came from the Swiss market. WELL, to

make a long story short, they were the worse cigars that I had smoked in a while.

THEY REALLY SUCKED ;) . I kept them for over 5 years before grabbing one to smoke, and you

know what ? THEY STILL SUCKED :D , no bettering of these sticks was in sight. I ended up

selling off the 20 cigars that were left. Just goes to show you that, when they're bad, with time,

sometimes they get worse. It's always more or less, Hit or Miss. :(

SC La Punta 02 they were very good young but even got better in 2006 they pick up so much more in rich flavor and they even were more powerfully as in full bolded just amazing cigars.

05 H. Upmann Magnum 46 suck overall some of the worst produced and no age will help them some may have gotten lucky with some boxes which is great.I had many boxes of them and they sucked than and still do now overall.

Late 07 and 08's are light years ahead in flavor and yes I do not have to age them to enjoy them they are great young just amazing !!!

Again if a box sucks Young its because its maybe to moist which will hurt the flavor and make it muted so maybe six months would help them out.

Or the blender did not do his job right because age should not make a cigar taste better than young because they are two different flavor profiles and its a personal choice .

But smoking a great young tasting cigar will most certainly have great aged flavor down the road.

As a smoker of 20+ years these are my views and i know all dont agree but hey i have to say what i think.

Interesting that you started this thread now or I wouldn't have responded to it earlier, but for an experiance this week. I have of Monte #2 that were totally unimpressive. I hadn't touched one in about a year until Monday, and I was blown away by the cigar. I don't know what the rest of the box will bring, but if it matches Monday's I have 20 or so gems awaiting me.

Juan Lopez p.c.'s. from '06 my most recent event. At first very 'meh', one year they are some sexy smokes.

1 year of box age is recomended by Cuba before smoking there cigars.I have seen this on older boxes of RG Lonies and also was told by veteran Cuban cigar smokers on my side of town who have been smoking for over 40+ years.

But overall since 06 I think less time is needed to enjoy a Cuban cigar because of the aged tobacco they use.

But again it all comes down to personal taste..

I had a box of 06 HDM du Prince that I could not stand. Very tannic and bitter. I was too inexperienced to realize they would evolve into something great.

Same thing with a box of Bolivar Coronas Junior. Before they turned 20-22 months old, they were very unpleasant.

For me it was the Montecristo Edmundo. When these first came out (in '06 I think?), they were like sucking on straws - all air. The flavor was also non existent. I gave up on them for a year or so, then tried another that someone handed to me from an '07 box. What a difference! The draw was spot on, and the flavors were definitely coming on great. I bought a few boxes and have been a fan ever since.