"Hong Kong Cigar Shop Guide": places to buy cigars

I'll start from Wanchai and Causeway Bay area. Hope this helps!

1. Name: Club Cigarism

Add:2/F, 521 Lockhart Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong(Behind Sogo, Metro D1 Exit)

Tel:+852 28915600

Opening Hours:12:00 noon-Midnight(Mon-Sat)

12:00 noon -22:00(Sun, holidays)

Comments: This cigar store was opened in early 2009. When I walked out the Burberry store at Sogo the other day, I was attracted by its eye-catching outdoor black&white sign with Che Guevara and the slogan "life is fun, live it!".

This prime-locating store is about 600SF, and could accommodate up to 20 people at the same time, making it the biggest cigar club in the area. When it comes to cigars, I found many rare puros such as Partagas 15 Sublime, Cohiba/RyJ/Hoyo Book Ediction, Ramon Allones Phoenicio and other regional editions etc to name few, selling at the lowest prices in town.

According to the manager Rocky Fung, the founder of this club is a long-time cigar smoker and decided to transform his office into a private cigar club for one big reason: Hong Kong's smoking ban in July 2009. Well, that’s a good and luxuary solution for a smoker.

PS: remember to have a look at the store's collection of fake Cuban cigars, educational and interesting!

Smoking Room: Yes

Lockers: Yes

VIP Room: Yes

Wireless Lan: Yes

TV, DVD, Printing&Fax: Free for VIPs

Value for money(10):9

Smoking room(10):8

Location(10):10

Services(10):8

Total Scores: 35/40

2. Name: Cigar Time

ADD: 1/F., The Excelsior, Hong Kong, 281 Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.

Tel: +852 2882 6928

Opening Hours: (Mon - Sat) 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

(Sun & Public holiday) 12:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Comments: Just 5 minutes away from Club Cigarism, Cigar Time is located in Excelsior Hotel 1/F. This tiny store sells their cigars mainly to hotel's customers, as well as customers from Dickson's Bar. Local smokers seldom buy here since the cigars and accessories are over-pricing. Cigar Time try to justify their pricing strategy by explaining that their source of cigars is Pacific Cigars Company(PCC). Well, since I can get a 30% off from their supplier, what is the point of buying from Cigar Time then? But I do think that Cigar Time is smart to focus their taget customers on tourists.

In spite of the hyper prices, one good development about Cigar Time is that they opened their members-only smoking room inside the hotel in 2009, the room has about 8 seats with high-ceiling and very nicely ventilated.

Smoking Room: Yes, members only

VIP Room: No

Wireless Lan: No

TV, DVD: TV only

Printing&Fax: No

Value for money(10):4

Smoking room(10):6

Location(10):9

Services(10):7

Total Scores: 26/40

3. Name: Acanta

Comments: Owned by Bluebell Group, the exclusive distributor for Davidoff for Hong Kong market. Acanta store is located at the lobby of Parklane hotel, 5 minutes away from the metro station. I always have the impression that all cigar stores in the hotels are over-pricing, and this is proved by Acanta again. However, comparing with Cigar Time, Acanta has better quality of cigars and standard of storage.

This store is good for buy and go only since they have no smoking room.

Add:Shop D4, Parklane Hotel. Causeway Bay

Tel:+852 2576 7665

Smoking Room: No(but you can still smoke at the opposite George and Co Bar before July 2009)

Lockers: No

TV, DVD: No

Value for money(10):5

Smoking room(10): N/A

Location(10):8

Total Scores: 21/30

Reference: more Bluebell cigar stores: (http://www.bluebellgroup.com/hk/shoplist/):

Davidoff(The Landmark) Shop G12, The Landmark, Queen's Road, Central

2525 5428

Davidoff(The Peninsula) Shop E3A, Peninsula Hotel, Salisbury Road, Kowloon 2368 5774

New World Centre Shop L144, New World Centre, Salisbury Road, Kowloon

2721 5520

Acanta

Gateway Arcade Shop 3323, Gateway Arcade, Harbour City, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon 2175 5169

4. Name Cigarros Inn

Comments: All my local cigar friends simply call this store "4/F", and never call it by name for 2 reasons. Firstly since people have to "climb"' up 4 floors to get to the shop(this building has no lift), and secondly because we don't think a store selling fakes deserves a name.

At my first-time visit in 2006, I was so happy about the choices of the EL cigars they had in the store. However, I found that many of them had no 3-caps, and even found some Montecristo EL 2000 with a new label on. Out of curiosity, I bought some and tried, well...fakes!!

After so many years, they are still selling fakes, but mainly to tourists from mainland China(especially who speak Mandarin). Cigarros Inn is the only cigar store I would suggest NOT going in Hong Kong, unless you have no choices.

Add: 4th Floor, 22 Russell Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

Tel: +852 28388687

TV, DVD: Yes

Value for money(10):0

Location(10):4

Total Scores: 18/40

source: Fred Leung

Thank Fred! Is Cigarros Inn the one opposite Times Square?

Also, the owner Mr. Ng seems to procure his cigars from one of the most infamous online counterfeit cigar peddlers. Check out the "

World Tobacco Asia 2008. Macau, China." photos on their website. :P

Statement of the month:"Cigaros Inn is privileged to have a limited stock of Cohiba's with the FIFA World Cup Ring Band for sales to collectors of these commemorative cigars."

Places like these should be ostracized, not be doing well enough to afford one of the most expensive rental spaces in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

yup...Cigarros Inn is the one opposite Time square.

The truth that they're still selling fakes really pisses me off, they're trying to kill Hong Kong's reputation for shopping paradize.

PS: I like your signature picture, nice!

Thanks! I remember the shop because I once waited 2 hours on the steps below the big screen with my dad, waiting for my mum and sis :2thumbs:

I usually go to the LCDH at Sheraton and Mandarin. But now with the new laws kicking in, I'm afraid that we'll be more and more confined like bloody lepers.

I love HK, and I must say that the service staff at the LCDHs are on average more friendly than the ones in Singapore and Malaysia.

I will check out the places you recommended the next time I'm there, especially Club Cigarism since I go to the Causeway Bay area often when I'm in HK. Perhaps we can even have a smoke together?

I believe Fred was trying to provide some "insider's" places to smoke, where the locals would go, instead of the usual LCDHs.

True. Coz LCDH shops are all so popular and what's the point to give introduction. The second reason is that their cigars are pricy, remember HK is a free economy zone, there are many hidden nice cigar bars. For example, there is one just opened in May, Cubano Club in TST, very nice too.

Fred in Beijing smoking@Ritz Calton.

True. Coz LCDH shops are all so popular and what's the point to give introduction. The second reason is that their cigars are pricy, remember HK is a free economy zone, there are many hidden nice cigar bars. For example, there is one just opened in May, Cubano Club in TST, very nice too.

Thanks. By the way, I wasn’t trying to be accusatory; meaning trying to point out a mistake you made, but more understand the nature of the list you were writing as I am an infrequent visitor to Hong Kong, and would like to try new places. I have enjoyed The Red Chamber on a few occasions and would be looking to go to other places as well. I admit it is pricey, but as you had pointed out some that were pricy as well, I was wondering if there was some other reason for the admission.

What does LCDH mean?

Thanks again.

Thanks. By the way, I wasn’t trying to be accusatory; meaning trying to point out a mistake you made, but more understand the nature of the list you were writing as I am an infrequent visitor to Hong Kong, and would like to try new places. I have enjoyed The Red Chamber on a few occasions and would be looking to go to other places as well. I admit it is pricey, but as you had pointed out some that were pricy as well, I was wondering if there was some other reason for the admission.

What does LCDH mean?

Thanks again.

LCDH stands for La Casa Del Habano, which are the franchises of the cigar shops in Cuba officially sanctioned by Habanos s.a.

They are usually named as such, like the one in Sheraton Hotel or variations of it usually established by the distributor for the country/region, like the ones in the Mandarin Oriental or Red Chamber.

Here are some websites for reference:

http://www.pacificcigar.com/

http://www.habanos.com/

Hong Kong Cigar Shop Guide - Central Area

I'll list by my favourite shops:

1. Cubano Club@Central

RM 401, 4TH FLOOR, WO HING COMMERCIAL BUILDING,

11 WING WO STREET, CENTRAL, HONG KONG

TEL: (852) 2815 7866

FAX: (852) 2810 1933

Web: http://www.ragiconline.com/

This store is indeed a wholesaler of Cuban cigars, genuine and nice quality. They just opened their second store in TST months ago.

For this Central shop, it's hard to find(In a narrow street opposite Sincere Department Store), but if you can find it, you find a place which provides Habanos with the cheapest prices.

Have been to so many cigar stores in the world, I have to say No one can beat Cubano Club's prices.

Their place in Central is tiny, but always packed with lots of people. Have to say their TST store is much better.

Very nice source of Cuban cigars, the must to go if you're in Central.

Coz I smoke 3-5 a day, Cubano Club is the best place to shop for daily smokes in Central, just like Club Cigarism in CWB.

Don't miss these two if you're in HK.

2. Cigarro

Just google Cigarro and you will find lots of information on this reputable cigar club. Fancy and well-decorated, remember to bring a coat with you when you go there, since their air-conditioning is always as low as 18C and don't get excited if you see some rare cigars.

My advise is go to have a look and go, cigars are too pricey and the atomosphere is too commercialized.

(PS: members-only, non-members can ask for a tour, buy and go)

Address: 3/F Pacific House, 20 Queen's Road Central

Telephone: 2810 1883

3. Red Chamber

This one store opposite the Landmark building is one of my favourite, because the decorating style is so Oriental and unique. A must-go for cigar smokers. Of coz if you have time for this, then save some time for other LCDH shops, check their website and get the address(Google Pacific Cigars Hong kong).

Others by LCDH:

Cigar Divin@Mandarin Oriental Hotel

4. Davidoff Landmark

A nice place for shopping for Davidoff and high-end accessories.

But no space for you to smoke since it's located inside the Landmark Square.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks for the info Fred - v. useful.

After a couple years working across Asia I've finally settled in HK and have been here for 6 months now. I pretty much exclusively use the Red Cigar Divan run by PCC as mentioned above. It's on the mezzanine floor of the Pedder Building, and is great for a smoke after work. It's pretty small, but friendly and funky Chinese decor as Fred says. Plus, the girl who works there's is cute ;)

Due to the smoking ban, am getting into the habit of having a coke with a habano there. The local HK guys seem quite keen on it and it's actually not too bad, esp. right after work or for a long lunch.

That said, there's only one place where people in the know go for a smoke on the island.....and that's the terrace on top of my building overlooking Wan Chai!

Fred, if you're a regular at the Red Chamber I may see you down there - I'm the lone western guy (Andy) usually having a JL sel no.2 after work, or if it's been a hard day a Trini RE..

:cigar:

Dun know the exact address, 5 min away from Exit C, on Peking Road. Call them to ask.

PS: just found out there is a photo gallery from Club Cigarism.

http://picasaweb.google.com.hk/clubcigarism

Was just there a few weeks ago when I passed by HK.

Address is 2A, Wing Lok House, 14 Peking Rd. (Entrance on Lock Rd, 1st street west of Nathan Rd.).

Hostess there told me that one can still smoke in their lounge post July 1st.

Apparently very few people go to their TST location as hostess inquired on how I found out about their store.

Business hours are noon to midnight 7 days a week!

• 3 months later...
Was just there a few weeks ago when I passed by HK.

Address is 2A, Wing Lok House, 14 Peking Rd. (Entrance on Lock Rd, 1st street west of Nathan Rd.).

Hostess there told me that one can still smoke in their lounge post July 1st.

Apparently very few people go to their TST location as hostess inquired on how I found out about their store.

Business hours are noon to midnight 7 days a week!

Hi I was checking out the Cubano Club website and the prices there seems like they are really cheap, i'm new to this and wants to try out more type of cigars, i think this has been answered before but they cigars there are genuine right?

Responding to Cal: I think a lot must have changed since toto's post back in July, cuz now Cubano TST is pretty busy everytime I visit. This club is the only place I go to to get my cigars now, after comparing the price from different places. I feel like I'm insulting the place to have to assure you this, but from my personal experience all their products are genuine.

In terms of the lounge, the layout is very roomy and comfortable, a pleasant surprise for the location. The ambience is spot on. The staff is friendly too. I hope this club will do well and continue to offer their quality and price (so I can continue to get good deals on cigars :P

Poon

Responding to Cal: I think a lot must have changed since toto's post back in July, cuz now Cubano TST is pretty busy everytime I visit. This club is the only place I go to to get my cigars now, after comparing the price from different places. I feel like I'm insulting the place to have to assure you this, but from my personal experience all their products are genuine.

In terms of the lounge, the layout is very roomy and comfortable, a pleasant surprise for the location. The ambience is spot on. The staff is friendly too. I hope this club will do well and continue to offer their quality and price (so I can continue to get good deals on cigars :pig:

Poon

Cal, agree w Poon as i was just in HK about a week or so ago and dropped by. Place is pretty packed.

Re their stock, it's all genuine. No issues. Prices are reasonable. The aircon was a bit too cold for my taste. Of course you can just go across Nathan to the LCDH in Sheraton TST and smoke there if you still want to make sure about genuine stock.

• 1 month later...

Just cancelled the morning meeting and got plenty of time, I tried to find a place to smoke at 9:30am.

Finally, Club Cigarism was the only store answered my calls, and it was the boss(James) who picked up the phone. I asked him if I could go there and have a cigar, showed no hesitation, he said yes. GOOD NEWS + GOOD LUCK!!

I went up there in 15 minutes, smoked a Bolivar Corona 1998 and watched HBO. After James finished talking on the phone, we talked and he treated me with his best Chinese tea. He told me he just returned from China last night and he always come to the "office" at 9:30am when he is in Hong Kong.

I asked where could I buy some Chinese tea, James printed the Google map and marked all the locations for me.

Such a friendly man!

Call Cigarism Club and try your luck next time when you need a morning smoke.

• 1 month later...

Well just needed to add Cigarism club is quite a nice place to enjoy a smoke but problem is that sometimes it has far too many people there sometimes for a quiet smoke.

There is another place that good for a chill out afternoon smoke too. It is at Lockhart Road called Trafalgar. They have a very nice balcony and a small selection of Cuban Cigars too in case you have not got some in stock. Staff are friendly and I always just order a Lime soda or coffee and stay there for 2 hours to chill out.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest rrr-rrr-rrrr
I'll start from Wanchai and Causeway Bay area. Hope this helps!

1. Name: Club Cigarism

Add:2/F, 521 Lockhart Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong(Behind Sogo, Metro D1 Exit)

Tel:+852 28915600

Opening Hours:12:00 noon-Midnight(Mon-Sat)

12:00 noon -22:00(Sun, holidays)

Comments: This cigar store was opened in early 2009. When I walked out the Burberry store at Sogo the other day, I was attracted by its eye-catching outdoor black&white sign with Che Guevara and the slogan "life is fun, live it!".

This prime-locating store is about 600SF, and could accommodate up to 20 people at the same time, making it the biggest cigar club in the area. When it comes to cigars, I found many rare puros such as Partagas 15 Sublime, Cohiba/RyJ/Hoyo Book Ediction, Ramon Allones Phoenicio and other regional editions etc to name few, selling at the lowest prices in town.

According to the manager Rocky Fung, the founder of this club is a long-time cigar smoker and decided to transform his office into a private cigar club for one big reason: Hong Kong's smoking ban in July 2009. Well, that’s a good and luxuary solution for a smoker.

PS: remember to have a look at the store's collection of fake Cuban cigars, educational and interesting!

VIP Room: Yes

Wireless Lan: Yes

TV, DVD, Printing&Fax: Free for VIPs

Value for money(10):9

Smoking room(10):8

Location(10):10

Total Scores: 35/40

2. Name: Cigar Time

ADD: 1/F., The Excelsior, Hong Kong, 281 Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.

Tel: +852 2882 6928

Opening Hours: (Mon - Sat) 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

(Sun & Public holiday) 12:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Comments: Just 5 minutes away from Club Cigarism, Cigar Time is located in Excelsior Hotel 1/F. This tiny store sells their cigars mainly to hotel's customers, as well as customers from Dickson's Bar. Local smokers seldom buy here since the cigars and accessories are over-pricing. Cigar Time try to justify their pricing strategy by explaining that their source of cigars is Pacific Cigars Company(PCC). Well, since I can get a 30% off from their supplier, what is the point of buying from Cigar Time then? But I do think that Cigar Time is smart to focus their taget customers on tourists.

In spite of the hyper prices, one good development about Cigar Time is that they opened their members-only smoking room inside the hotel in 2009, the room has about 8 seats with high-ceiling and very nicely ventilated.

Smoking Room: Yes, members only

TV, DVD: TV only

Value for money(10):4

Location(10):9

Services(10):7

Total Scores: 26/40

3. Name: Acanta

Comments: Owned by Bluebell Group, the exclusive distributor for Davidoff for Hong Kong market. Acanta store is located at the lobby of Parklane hotel, 5 minutes away from the metro station. I always have the impression that all cigar stores in the hotels are over-pricing, and this is proved by Acanta again. However, comparing with Cigar Time, Acanta has better quality of cigars and standard of storage.

This store is good for buy and go only since they have no smoking room.

Add:Shop D4, Parklane Hotel. Causeway Bay

Tel:+852 2576 7665

Smoking Room: No(but you can still smoke at the opposite George and Co Bar before July 2009)

Lockers: No

TV, DVD: No

Value for money(10):5

Smoking room(10): N/A

Location(10):8

Total Scores: 21/30

Reference: more Bluebell cigar stores: (http://www.bluebellgroup.com/hk/shoplist/):

Davidoff(The Landmark) Shop G12, The Landmark, Queen's Road, Central

2525 5428

Davidoff(The Peninsula) Shop E3A, Peninsula Hotel, Salisbury Road, Kowloon 2368 5774

New World Centre Shop L144, New World Centre, Salisbury Road, Kowloon

2721 5520

Acanta

Gateway Arcade Shop 3323, Gateway Arcade, Harbour City, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon 2175 5169

4. Name Cigarros Inn

Comments: All my local cigar friends simply call this store "4/F", and never call it by name for 2 reasons. Firstly since people have to "climb"' up 4 floors to get to the shop(this building has no lift), and secondly because we don't think a store selling fakes deserves a name.

At my first-time visit in 2006, I was so happy about the choices of the EL cigars they had in the store. However, I found that many of them had no 3-caps, and even found some Montecristo EL 2000 with a new label on. Out of curiosity, I bought some and tried, well...fakes!!

After so many years, they are still selling fakes, but mainly to tourists from mainland China(especially who speak Mandarin). Cigarros Inn is the only cigar store I would suggest NOT going in Hong Kong, unless you have no choices.

Add: 4th Floor, 22 Russell Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

Tel: +852 28388687

TV, DVD: Yes

Value for money(10):0

Location(10):4

Total Scores: 18/40