Petit Edmundo (Dark Wrapper) ABR 07

During December I was fortunate enough to be gifted a 10ct box of Petit Edmundo's (purchased at the Madrid Duty Free)

post-3351-1236604534.jpg

These have some seriously dark wrappers.....

So here is a compare with the box, a single and some other well known dark wrappers.

post-3351-1236604660.jpg post-3351-1236605119.jpg

So dark is the Petit Edmundo that it could even be a 2007 Petit Edmundo EL ?? :P (i'm messing around with bands, the only fun i'll be having with this Edmundo :( )

post-3351-1236604942.jpg

Or a mini-Sublime....

post-3351-1236605053.jpg

Anyway..... Off to the "review".

Construction: Very solid, nice weight to it. Well packed and firm to the touch.

Appearence: Dark, damn dark. Oily wrapper, leathery to the touch.

The pre-light draw was just perfect, exactly what it should be. The taste being a mixture of cedar and leather, the wrapper tasting unusually strong on the lips.

So i light it up and i'm almost instantly greeted by loads of spice and a very strong espresso flavour, with a slightly creamy finish. Not bad, this shows some promise !

A few puffs later and it's obvious that this little Edmundo is very full bodied...... as far as I know these little guys are supposed to be milder, not this full bodied. Each puff I take gives out rich intense smoke with rich espresso flavours, too rich in fact.

At the completion of the first third smoking this is like sipping on double rich espresso without sugar, interesting at first but now it's becoming uncomfortably rich. The slightly creamy finish is a thing of the past. it's full out espresso. This is as one dimensional as you can get, and it's frustrating.

post-3351-1236606186.jpg

Towards the end of the second third the body just remains full, no letting up at all. There is no tobacco flavour but just more and more of this sickeningly powerful espresso..... take the strongest coffee you've ever had (no sugar) and multiply it by ten and you might come close. This Petit Edmundo is on steroids and it's not fun at all... :)

This is an angry little stick.

This is for Colt, a cone ! just for you :P

post-3351-1236606510.jpg

Off to the final third....

It begins to develop a slight leathery aftertaste, things are just getting weirder. I've had enough.

I pitch it. :D

I have never come across a Monte that was this strong, EVER !. I like strength, but when it's this overpoweringly one-dimensional it just becomes uncomfortable. I'm putting this box away for a long,long time. Hopefully by then it would have lost some of it's violent rage and have matured into something decent.

Score: 78

Or: 2.8 out of 6

Very disappointing and unlike a Monte.

I have to admit that I am intrigued by this... I'm not sure that I would have a problem with pure espresso? This could be a great cigar with a few years of age on it.

It's very attractive, but I suppose a dark wrapper on a regular production cigar isn't the same as a dark wrapper on an EL.

I'm guessing that is what the issue was here, because I recently smoked a young much lighter wrapper Petit Edmundo that was smooth and creamy, just like you had expected.

I've not tried the PE, but have gone through something similar with a box of Montecristo No.4 from January '06. They were very

strong when young. It's taken until just recently for them to smooth out - the last being medium bodied and not what I'd call rich.

Thanks for the review.

I have a box with the same production date and the wrappers could not be more different. Mine have an almost greenish/greyish hue to them. The flavor is no where even close to as strong as you describe them either. They are refined and full of light coffee flavors. I find them very enjoyable. It seems the dark wrappers impart the overwhelming strength you spoke of, Padrino. They need lots of beauty sleep! :D I've never seen PE's with wrappers that dark...interesting. Thanks so much for the review. :)

I'm not sure that I would have a problem with pure espresso?

That's what I thought starting out the first third, it was the intensity of it that just floored me.

It's very attractive, but I suppose a dark wrapper on a regular production cigar isn't the same as a dark wrapper on an EL.

I'm guessing that is what the issue was here, because I recently smoked a young much lighter wrapper Petit Edmundo that was smooth and creamy, just like you had expected

That was exactly it, they look so good I was expecting something great. looks are definitely not everything when it comes to Habanos.

I've not tried the PE, but have gone through something similar with a box of Montecristo No.4 from January '06. They were very

strong when young.

And I'm sure due to the PE's large RG and short length the strength is even more pronounced. One more reason why i prefer smaller RG's.

I have a box with the same production date and the wrappers could not be more different. Mine have an almost greenish/greyish hue to them. The flavor is no where even close to as strong as you describe them either. They are refined and full of light coffee flavors.

What you mention just shows the inconsistency when it comes to Habanos, you just never know with any certainty what you're going to get. Sometimes it's downright annoying. Like the box of San Cristobal La Punta i received from Czar - the weirdest pale wrappers - almost nothing like the usual La Punta's.

Sounds like an angry youngster at this point.

That perfectly describes this box of PE's

Thanks for the review Padrino, its never fun to throw of of your youngsters out hopefully w/time they will become an enjoyable smoke.

Great review :)

I have come across cigars such as that from time to time. Ruthlessly strong and one dimensional. They are put aways and should come good (in my experience) however they rarely come back to be symbolic of their Marque.

I prefer a young cigar to make a statement as opposed to not making any :wink2:

Well written review, mate.

A shame it didn't perform for you though. It'll be interesting to see how they develop in years to come.

by the way, I've never seen a box code with an " * " symbol on it.... any idea what it means?

I love the Edmundo. I have had one of the Petit Edmundo and found it to be very similar in constuction, draw, burn and taste - so the paralles are there, at least enough to give my 2 cents. My feeling is that it is a beast of a cigar and has its time and place. Not a casual light up and not for the faint of heart. But, this is a cigar that improves with age and I would hold on to them.