Callejo Messes En4Barrica '05

anacostiakat

Weighing in at 14% for mid-teens USD. This is a real nice ribera del duero red from spain. This year does not have the body of some of the others.

First cigar of the evening is a SLR Lonsdale. A very nice mild cigar.

Anyone else drinking spanish? I am really finding that the origins for value are Spain and Australia for me right now.

Of course if we keep bailing everyone and their mother out and printing more money even that might change. :buddies::P

I drink quite a bit of wine from Spain. But in the main, I look to Italy.

Interesting Colt. I have been off the Italian wines lately. No real reason other than the stated values at my local beverage store. I don't buy mail order any more.

If I could afford it I would drink a lot more barolo. :)

If I could afford it I would drink a lot more barolo. :)

Kat, if you enjoy nebbiolo, you might want to give Vietti's Nebbiolo Perbacco a try if you see it. I've tried a couple of bottles

and really enjoy it. This past weekend, I did my own little nebbiolo tasting:

Ballarin Cino Langhe Rosso - ($13), Vietti Nebbiolo Perbacco ($18), and La Spinetta Langhe Nebbiolo ($26).

The Ballarin is the lightest in style, relying more on acidity for structure, but a good value nonetheless.

The Vietti is full and rich, purple grapes on the nose, but deep in texture with structural tannin on the finish.

The La Spinetta fell in between - fuller and spicier than the Cino, but quite less so than the Vietti.

For my palate, the Vietti was the clear winner, and a great value as well. I bought what they had, and will try to get a case.

As much as I love sangiovese, I'm now on the lookout for affordable nebbiolo.

Kat, if you enjoy nebbiolo, you might want to give Vietti's Nebbiolo Perbacco a try if you see it. I've tried a couple of bottles

and really enjoy it. This past weekend, I did my own little nebbiolo tasting:

Ballarin Cino Langhe Rosso - ($13), Vietti Nebbiolo Perbacco ($18), and La Spinetta Langhe Nebbiolo ($26).

The Ballarin is the lightest in style, relying more on acidity for structure, but a good value nonetheless.

The Vietti is full and rich, purple grapes on the nose, but deep in texture with structural tannin on the finish.

The La Spinetta fell in between - fuller and spicier than the Cino, but quite less so than the Vietti.

For my palate, the Vietti was the clear winner, and a great value as well. I bought what they had, and will try to get a case.

As much as I love sangiovese, I'm now on the lookout for affordable nebbiolo.

Great prices. I'll look for it! Thanks!!

If you try it, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. Obviously, taste is subjective, but this is one of the few

wines I feel confident in recommending to keep an eye out for.

Well, from the online list it looks like my local doesnt have any of them. I'll check next time I am in but may have to look around a bit.