Punch Band

DCcigars

I stumbled across a discrepancy between two Punch bands and am wondering which one is real or if there was just a band change at some point?

The small triangles near the medallions are filled in on this band, which is on cubancigarwebsite.com:

Punch_band_1928780595full.jpg

The small triangles are not filled in on this band, which was identified as the genuine article on the Cigar Aficionado website:

3039317505_39291b5778_o.gif

Thanks for your help!

I went and checked two boxes. A box of RS11 had the outline triangles while a box of RS12 had the triangles filled in.

The band on the RS12 is smaller, and I could see an indentation in the centers of the triangles.

My thought is that with the smaller band, it may be harder to hold the fine line of the triangle in the printing process.

Here is a pic of the smaller RS12 band:

post-296-1227066164.jpg

The Punch Corona I had a couple weeks ago also had the filled in triangles, the embossing was still evident. Here is a scan of the band:

PunchCorona.jpg

So, you're not the only one. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to agree with Colt45 that there may be variation (probably numerous) between band sizes.

Here is another shot of a #5 band - Under close inspection you can notice many faults in the printing.

I have no reason to think the cigar is fake but you could definately pick this band apart.

The embossing is struck off center making the color patterns look sloppy and check out the second medallion from left it looks like a bird face?

I have seen numerous other faulty bands (different marques) that just seem to have been unquestioned by quality control.

My guess is the embossing stamp here had alot of wear, was not aligned properly with print stock and possibly had picked up some foreign material. I am not a printer nor know their embossing techniques so these are just :angry: uneducated speculation.

post-558-1227989199.jpg

• 1 month later...
I stumbled across a discrepancy between two Punch bands and am wondering which one is real or if there was just a band change at some point?

The small triangles near the medallions are filled in on this band, which is on cubancigarwebsite.com:

The small triangles are not filled in on this band, which was identified as the genuine article on the Cigar Aficionado website:

Thanks for your help!

Those are both fine....the detail on the RE is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

The small triangles are not filled in on this band, which was identified as the genuine article on the

On Trevor's site you can find new Pre-Revolution Cigar Band Gallery. There are different sort of bands - filled and not filled triangles near the medallions. All is real and band is true.

post-3407-1232993438.jpg

post-3407-1232993513.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Since this thread started, the cigar band images on my website have been updated.

See:http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=Punch