Nubs?

I see a non-cuban cigar company is marketing shorter cigars based on the idea that this is the best part of the cigar so why make them longer.

I reckon this is wrong since to get to that final 3rd of the smoke the flavour has developed from smoking the first two 3rds. There are no short cuts to a big final 3rd of a good cigar.

What do you think?

» I reckon this is wrong since to get to that final 3rd of the smoke the

» flavour has developed from smoking the first two 3rds. There are no short

» cuts to a big final 3rd of a good cigar.

That pretty much hit the nail right on the head. I've smoked one of the Nubs, and while the flavor was decent, I just felt awkward holding a 64rg or whatever smoke.

» I see a non-cuban cigar company is marketing shorter cigars based on the

» idea that this is the best part of the cigar so why make them longer.

» I reckon this is wrong since to get to that final 3rd of the smoke the

» flavour has developed from smoking the first two 3rds. There are no short

» cuts to a big final 3rd of a good cigar.

» What do you think?

But, but, but, even with a Nub, there is still a first 1/3, a second 1/3, and a third 1/3...they are just much shorter than that of a "normal" cigar...all marketing for the dolts of the world...and I agree, still not a bad smoke...

I have had worse cigars than the Nub. I had one of the torpedos so I didn't have to dislocate my jaw bone like a Boa to smoke it. I am a fan of mild cigars, but for those who like em strong, you're probably not going to be into it. Regarding the whole idea behind the Nub, not sure it's possible. I think the smoking of a whole cigar provides that ideal point in the cigar that Nub was trying to capture in the short and fat format.

-Patrick

» Nubs, and while the flavor was decent, I just felt awkward holding a 64rg

64 Ring Gauge! Christ, you practically have to dislocate your jaw to get a decent grip on it. I like smaller formats, but I wish the cigar world's pendulum would swing back to narrower ring gauges.

What I meant to go on with was to speculate - what if Habanos releases their own versions? While I would not necessarily rush out to buy them, it has been proven by the regular release of new cigars as EL or new 'models' that the cigar world is revitalised by new releases. As long as they don't discontinue our favourite and classic vitolas.....

I think it would be a shame if Habanos went even further down the road of hype and fad. They can mess with packaging all they want (love those travel tubes), but man, don't start following crazy NC fads like Nubs, extreme box press, etc. I am already a bit suspect about the quality vs. marketing ratio of the EL's. I am no expert tho.

I say keep perfecting the classics.