Partagas Petit Corona Especiale (LSO MAR08)

shrink

I picked up a couple boxes of these more out of curiosity than anything else. I've had some '99 machine mades that were smooth and flavorful, but these are now all hecho a mano.

The Especiale is a unique size: 44 ring guage by 5 1/4 length. My example wasn't eye candy, for sure. It was distinctly box pressed, and had a dry, light tan wrapper. When clipped, it drew a bit on the loose side, but this didn't present a problem during the smoke.

I was impressed by how smooth the Especiale was from the first draw. It was on the light side of medium-bodied, and had a sweet Partagas profile with just a little pepper on the finish. Very easy smoking, and surprisingly mature and tasty for such a young 'un. I wouldn't begin to compare this to a Party Short, which is much more full-bodied and spicy from the get-go.

Still, the Especiale was a nice change-up from its more robust siblings, and made a good smoke following a light lunch. I'll be curious to see how these smoke with a year or two on 'em, but they are perfectly approachable now, with only a few months of box age. Rating: 87