My Digital Hygrometer!!

Hello all, quick question .... I was given a hand me down Digital Hygrometer with no instructions! Apparently it has a dial on it that I have no idea what its for, so curious to figure it out on my own I start to move it around and I noticed that every time i moved the dial it would change the humidity percentage!! Now I don't know if I'm at the right humidity !!! What can I do to fix this problem?? Money is tight right now. Any Ideas?

Another question: Can I mix Cigars or should I keep them in the plastic wrappers? Should I worry about flavors mixing if thats possible?

Im a bit embarrassed to ask but how exactly do I do that?? Do I have to use one of my 2 humidors or can I use a Cigar Box instead? So basically the salt in a shot glass filled with water will raise humidity to 75%? Regular water or Distilled? how much salt? Sorry for all the questions but I really want to get this right lol! Thanks!

SmokinAl stated the following, which is the way to do a "Salt Test" on your hydrometer:

Before you spend too much time messing around with it, calibrate the hygrometer to 75% RH to make sure it's in the ball park. Don't expect it to be dead accurate. Do this first as you may not have a problem at all. I can't emphasise this enough.

Put your new Hygrometer into a plastic bag with a little moistened salt and seal the bag tightly. Leave this for about twelve hours Does it read 75% If not the Hygrometer is out of cal. That's so common it's normal. Just remember to add/subtract that variance to any readings done in the humidor. Also, do this test every 3 months. Expect no more than 24 months life from a cheap Hygro.

If you have a puck, put it in the box with just a little moisture. It'll help reduce the moisture content back to the rating of the beads. The beads will draw in moisture far slower than they'll release it. This is normal.

You also asked about leaving the cello on or off your cigars. Time old question, but I would not worry about the flavors mixing in the humidor unless you have "Flavored" cigars such as Acid's, which should never be placed in the same humidor as any normal or regular cigar as the essential oils that they are infussed with will ruin a humidor and any regular cigar they are near. Have you ever noticed how in B & M Tobacconist they never have those "Flavored" cigars stored in the same cabinet as normal cigars? Personally, I leave the cello on if they came that way.

Thanks guys ..... Should I get A regular Analog Hygrometer or just get a better Digital Hygrometer?

I do Have a black Puck .... I was wondering about the beads, if they are better or not? Which do you prefer?

I think i will take your advice on that and buy myself a new digital when money permits ..... thanks again!

ps i just put the digital gauge in a ziplock back with a pinch of salt and and a few drops of tap water .... I cant wait till tomorrow to check it!

Guest robustog

I believe that dial on the bottom is used to adjust the readout. When you do your salt test, if it needs adjusting, you can dial it in to give you a proper reading.

» Hello all, quick question .... I was given a hand me down Digital Hygrometer with no instructions! Apparently it has a dial on it that I have no idea what its for, so curious to figure it out on my own I start to move it around and I noticed that every time i moved the dial it would change the humidity percentage!! Now I don't know if I'm at the right humidity !!! What can I do to fix this problem?? Money is tight right now.

The gauge you have is currently one of the best.

The top red button changes between F & C.

The dial on the right hand side is used to adjust the humidity. Do the salt test as already advised, then use the dial to adjust the Humidity to match the salt test humidity ie: 75% . The dial will click (faintly) each 1%. IE: If the hygrometers reads 72%, turn the dial 3 clicks clockwise. If it reads 77%, turn the dial 2 clicks anticlockwise.

THEN press the other button (left hand side) to set / lock the adjustment. After a few seconds, the hygrometer will show the adjusted humidity (should read 75%). It then refreshes every 10 seconds.

Note when you press the set button, the unit automatically reverts to degrees C. To change back to degrees F, press the red top button.

After adjustment , if it was major adjustment (as it might be as you have been aimlessly twisting the dial), do a second test.

PS. The salt test should be done (idealy) at the same temperature that your cigars will be kept at, or otherwise between 65F & 75F.

PPS. This test / adjustment should be redone every 6 months, as hygrometers do "float-off" calbration. This is the advantage of this type of gauge....its ability to be recalabrated at home.

Plenty of good info on here already, but when I salt test, I just mix up a plastic 2-liter or 20oz. bottle cap about half full of the salt mix. Put in just enough water to make a nice thick paste, and seal it up in 2 ziploc bags.

Digital hygros are FAR better than analog. As to the cigar flavor marrying, as stated already - don't worry about it. :-D

» After adjustment , if it was major adjustment (as it might be as you have

» been aimlessly twisting the dial), do a second test.

LMAO! very true and wow very detailed help .... exactly the answers i needed from everyone thanks!!!!

PS. I just happened to buy another cigar from my usual spot, and I placed it in my humidor and thats when i decided to do the salt test and I noticed that the new cigar I bought had a small hole in that looks eerily similar to the holes made by the tobacco beetle .... just felt like venting that a bit ... I plan on returning it on monday ... i hope he returns my money!

well .... I dont think im that bad at following directions especially when they are written in front of me. But man this gauge has not hit 75 since i last wrote ... double bagged a coke bottle cap that was filled half way with salt and enough water to make it look like a paste ... i set the dial to what i believe to be the neutral level and left it there for over 12 hrs. it never broke 69 at neutral .. so i decided to raise the dial a few clicks (about 5, clockwise) and nothing happened ... so i waited about 10 minutes still nothing ... another 15 minutes later it dropped to 67 ... can I light it on fire yet? ;-)

Between every click of the dial i wait about 20-30 but it really doesnt do anything.

Guest robustog

» well .... I dont think im that bad at following directions especially when

» they are written in front of me. But man this gauge has not hit 75 since i

» last wrote ... double bagged a coke bottle cap that was filled half way

» with salt and enough water to make it look like a paste ... i set the dial

» to what i believe to be the neutral level and left it there for over 12

» hrs. it never broke 69 at neutral .. so i decided to raise the dial a few

» clicks (about 5, clockwise) and nothing happened ... so i waited about 10

» minutes still nothing ... another 15 minutes later it dropped to 67 ...

» can I light it on fire yet? ;-)

»

» Between every click of the dial i wait about 20-30 but it really doesnt do

» anything.

Try pressing the button on the bottom left first to unlock the settings.

» Between every click of the dial i wait about 20-30 but it really doesnt do anything.

You are clicking the button on the left ofter twisting?

is so, initial twisting of dial beyopnd limits of adjustment may have broken the unit.......?

» if so, initial twisting of dial beyond limits of adjustment may have

» broken the unit.......?

When i notice that the % has peaked i set it to that number by pressing the button .... after it is set i then Gently turn the dial Slowly clockwise about 3-5 clicks .... I then wait approx 20-30 seconds to see if it might just take a while for the % to change but it doesnt at all.

I dont believe that i might have twisted the dial beyond its limits causing it to break, but I do not doubt that there might be a slight malfunction with this particular unit, therefore i've decided to no longer use this particular unit anymore. Thank you all for the help.:-|

• 1 month later...