The week in cigars...

I've been smoking quite a few good cigars lately. Partly because some 2006's are coming in the "zone"; and partly because I just feel like making some comparisons. Here's what I've had in the past week or so:

'02 Bolivar Corona Gigante

'02 Partagas Serie D. No 3

'98 Partagas Lonsdale

'02 Ramon Allones 898V

'06 Punch Super Robusto RE

'06 Cohiba Piramide EL

'03 Partagas Serie du Conn No. 1

'02 Partagas Corona

'06 Partagas 898V

'05 Ramon Allones Belicoso

'04 San Luis Rey Doble Corona

'05 Upmann Mag 50 EL

Every single one has been a pleasure. But several have stood out in my mind as being superb examples of their marca, and truly great cigars in their own right:

Third runner-up: The Party lonsdale was everything that makes this cigar such a classic. Super smooth, but with an underlying strength and sweet leathery-peppery finish that gives you pause between draws. As others have noted, not an especially complex smoke, but very satisfying for a Partagas lover.

Second runner-up: The Partagas 898V was stunning, as usual. Still in it's youth, it is already showing the richness, depth, and complexity that that makes this cigar so special. I've never tasted such an appealing bittersweet cocoa note, and complex peppery spice like this in any other cigar, bar none. In time, this one will rise to the top.

First runner-up: The incomparable Ramon Allones 898V is just beginning to hit its sweet spot. These have actually grown stronger in the past year, and are now full-flavored, with that unique sweet woody core, around which are wrapped a stunning variety of flavors, including fermented fruits, spices, and a tantalizing red wine-like finish unlike any other cigar I've had. This cigar defines the concept of complexity.

The winner: Tonight, I sampled a Cohiba Piramide EL for the first time in about a year, and I was immediately impressed with just how much it has matured. From the first puff to the last, it demonstrated just why Cohiba is the benchmark against which all other cigars can be measured. It's not a particularly complex cigar, in that it showcases a linear profile that reminds me of a perfectly baked creme caramel. To describe it as creamy would be an understatement, and it was perfectly balanced in all respects. Caramel, vanilla, cinnamon and sweet malted milk define the profile. Tonight's example soared beyond any previous Cohiba I've had, including aged Lanceros, Coronas Especials, and a variety of Siglos.

I love your work mate :-D

If I recall correctly we mad a call on the 06 Cohiba Piramide EL upon release that they had the potential to be amongst the all time greats. It is nice to see that they are evolving along that path.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day ;-)

What was unexpected was just how mature the Cohibamide presented. Wonderfully smooth, with such a sweet and delectable flavor profile. I would describe it as a "dessert" cigar. I actually had a baked creme brulee that evening, so the comparison was easy, and frankly, the Cohiba was just as delicious as the creme (and lasted a lot longer, too).

I know that it's heresy, but these youthful cigars are ready to enjoy. I recall that they were rolled with aged tobaccos. Will they continue to evolve and sweeten over time? Almost certainly. Do they need more age to soften and integrate the profile? Not as far as I can tell. These are going into the rotation now. One of the most satisfying cigars I've ever smoked.

» Even a broken watch is right twice a day ;-)

I wouldn't know, mate. I don't wear a watch anymore! ;-)

Nice job there, Bob. Real Yeomans work.

I share your enthusiasm about the Partagas 898 Varnished. I am in heart with them, and the 2006's are great already.

At the time I thought I went off the deep end with my deluge of 2006 purchases (gotta help put Rob's kids through school, right?) Now I wish I had purchased more. I have some truly fantastic cigars from 2006---had a SigloIII from April 06 last night that was nothing short of stunning.

» At the time I thought I went off the deep end with my deluge of 2006

» purchases (gotta help put Rob's kids through school, right?) Now I wish I

» had purchased more. I have some truly fantastic cigars from 2006---had a

» SigloIII from April 06 last night that was nothing short of stunning.

Matt, I am more convinced than ever that 2006 will go down as one of the best, if not THE best vintage for Habanos, ever. I'm still grabbing some '06 boxes, when I can.

» I love your work mate :-D

»

» If I recall correctly we mad a call on the 06 Cohiba Piramide EL upon

» release that they had the potential to be amongst the all time greats. It

» is nice to see that they are evolving along that path.

»

» Even a broken watch is right twice a day ;-)

That's all well and good mate but I don't think you should be talking about broken watches. :lookaround: