Newbie Question .... Cohibas?

My first Cigar was a Cohiba (DR), and since then those are usually what I smoke now, mostly the Small ones in the tin case, so that I can Smoke while at work. Well my question is, simply, what is the difference in the Dominican Cohiba and the Cuban Cohiba? Commonsense tells me its the Leaf and Tobacco, but I only ask because I do plan on making my purchase soon and I wanted to get a Cuban Cohiba being that Cohiba was the first Cigar I ever smoked! Are they similar, how are they? I feel silly asking these question but I really don't have much experience! Thanks!

PS. If you have any suggestions For a first time cuban Cigar other than Cohiba then by all means! I like a Medium bodied Cigar, one that I plan on taking my time with!

I imagine you are looking for a specific answer, but really, in my opinion it's like trying to compare

wines from different countries. They may show certain similarities, but for the most part, a California

cab will not usually be mistaken for a French bordeaux, etc.

As to recommendations, taste is so subjective, and along with things like cigar age, good and not

so good vintages etc, it can make it difficult to give a decisive answer - at least for me.

In this case, I'd recommend taking the time to consult with our humble hosts, find out what is smoking

well at the moment, and have a sampler put together.

Have fun!

There is absolutely no comparison between the two. You could definitely try a Cohiba, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Have a chat with Lisa and get an opinion on what's good right now. I'm not sure what your typical cigar size is, but Ramon Allones Specially Selected are some of my favorites.

As for Cohibas, I haven't had a chance to smoke all that many of them (they're too pricey for me), but the Robusto is fabulous IMO.

As others have said, the two are totally different cigars with totally different taste. A Cuban Cohiba is a mild to medium bodied cigar with a honey sweetness that is layered with beany flavors like Vanilla, Coffee and Mocha bean mixed with a rich leather that covers the palate with a velvety rich smoke that is heavenly. I can not tell you about the Dominican Cohiba as the last one I tried was many years ago and the experience was not to my liking.

Ask Rob & Lisa what is smoking well right now, I would ask about the Corona Especiales, the Siglo II or maybe even the Siglo I's. The suggestion about a sampler is excellent.

Can´t compare. The main issue here is about ORIGIN. I deal with this every day. Can´t replicate the flavour even planting same variety in different soils, not even in Cuba.Take Corojo seeds for example and go to the Central provinces (Villa Clara, Sancti Spiritus and Ciego) and start growing there. Climate and soils are different. Nutrients could be similar but the land it´s not so fertile and loose as in South Havana and Pinar. We´ve been blessed with that peculiar microclimate that allowed growers to cultivate the best tobacco for many centuries. Are we talking dinasty here? you bet! I personally meet these vegueros and know how they feel, how painstaking their labour is, how much care is developed to grow the leaf. By their knowledge and passion, I have to knee deep and take my hat off every time I heard them talk. Difficult to find nowhere else. Many Cuban exiles have been growing tobacco in DR, NIc, Honduras (more or less succesful in their own ventures) and you may have listened them yearning to have a piece of land in Vuelta Abajo as the best thing to happen some day. I wonder why? Not going into the issue of the legal suit against the brand name.

Once more, Colt is right. It´s very subjective though. It´s dependent on many things that also differs from one individual to others.

If you have your taste buds accostumed to a Dominican CBA blend (milder and bit sour) you will find difficult somehow to adapt it the other way around so rapidly. Bear in mind that when it comes to tobacco and cigar smoking, rushing things is not recommended. Take your time and give your palate time to compare between two different blends. World of wine is quite similar if not identical to world of cigars. And, most importantly I´m not talking about blended cigars (made up of three different origins regarding leaf for binders, filler and wrappers) against 100% one origin premium long filler tobacco. ;-)