The Oberoi Hotel, Bali, Indonesia

I think I’ve died and gone to the smoking section in heaven…

Bali is a beautiful place with lovely tropical weather that never gets too stifling by virtue of the trade winds. The single most striking thing about the place is that you can’t turn around without spotting a humidor somewhere! It seems all the restaurants in Kuta and along the strip have cigars or they’ll run next door to get one for you.

For the main part these boxes are full of the local weed, which is pretty rough in comparison to what we’re used to smoking. Buying imported cigars locally is also very pricey. Duty in Indonesia is 300% of landed cost so by the time the vendor has marked it up, you’re going to get stung. Visitors to Bali are permitted to bring 50 cigars with them before any taxes are levied. I've smuggled in twice that because I didn't know what I wanted to smoke. ;)

I’ve grabbed a box of the best Perfecto’s they make here and I’ll bring them back to the deck. It'll be interesting if anyone can smoke more than an inch of once before it gets pitched.

The first night here we were sitting in the a la carte restaurant at the Oberoi (which was out of this world, just don’t have the crepe suzette unless you’re a screaming alcoholic, it could kill you) and I pulled out a cigar to cut the end before going for a walk on the beach. Before I had the chance, a waiter slid a cut crystal cigar ashtray onto the table and offered an industrial sized jet lighter and asked if I’d care for a nightcap. The only thought that came to mind was: “Ahh, civilization, at last.”

Cheers,

Al.

What are you doing talking to us? Is Susanna off shopping or something ? ;-)

Glad your having a fine time Mate and I look forward to catching up when you get back.

Oh yeah and if Susanna would like her garter back , it doesn't really go with any of my outfits.:-D