Cuba silent on Russian bomber report: Fidel Castro

HAVANA (Reuters) - Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro on Wednesday said Cuba does not have to explain or "ask forgiveness" about a report out of Russia this week that Russia might use its Cold War ally Cuba as a refueling base for nuclear-capable bombers.

He did not address whether the report was true or false, and Cuban officials have made no comment.

"Raul did very well keeping a dignified silence," Castro wrote, referring to his brother, President Raul Castro.

"One doesn't have to give explanations nor ask excuses or forgiveness," the ailing 81-year-old said in one of his increasingly frequent opinion pieces.

Russia's Izvestia newspaper this week quoted a "highly placed source" as saying Russia could land Tu-160 supersonic bombers nicknamed "White Swans" in Cuba in response to a planned U.S. missile defense shield in Europe that Moscow opposes.

On Tuesday, U.S. Air Force Gen. Norton Schwartz told the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee that if the Russians did refuel the bombers in Cuba "we should stand strong and indicate that that is something that crosses a threshold, crosses a red line for the United States of America."

Russian officials have denied the Izvestia report, but the dust-up has stirred memories of the 1962 Cuban missile crisis when the United States and Russia faced each other down after the discovery of Soviet missiles on the island 90 miles (144 km) south of Florida.

The two-week crisis brought the Cold War foes close to a full-blown war until the Soviets agreed to take down the missile sites in exchange for a U.S. pledge not to invade Cuba and to remove U.S. missiles from Turkey.

Castro said the comments by Schwartz, who has been nominated to become the Air Force's top military officer, were an example of the "Machiavellian strategy that the empire (U.S.) applies to Cuba."

"If you say yes, I kill you. If you say no, it's the same, I'll kill you anyway," he wrote.

Castro led Cuba after taking power in a 1959 revolution until he provisionally put Raul Castro in charge two years ago following intestinal surgery. The younger Castro, who is 77, formally replaced him in a February vote by the National Assembly.

The elder Castro has not been seen in public since his surgery, but of late has been writing lots of opinion pieces and occasionally appears in videos and photos.

(Reporting by Jeff Franks; Editing by Eric Beech)

» It has been this way now for some time. It is funny because the US put so

» much money into the Iraq war, yet we have the same issues 90 miles from

» FLA. What is different?

just want to play a bit of devil advocate..

but US have missiles here in Europe... so why shouldn't Russia be allowed to place bombes/missile shield in Cuba?

»

»

» just want to play a bit of devil advocate..

»

» but US have missiles here in Europe... so why shouldn't Russia be allowed

» to place bombes/missile shield in Cuba?

I am an American and a staunch conservative who is very much in favor of a large military. That said, I agree with you 100%. It is totally hipocritical to say that Russia can't do this when we have nuclear missles, missle defense systems (pending supposedly), and refuel our long range bombers right in their backyards. We have to decide whether we want to keep our systems in place and allow Russia to expand thier systems as in this case or remove our systems from Europe. I vote for the latter. We don't need to have our systems in Europe b/c

1.) We have the capability to deliver payloads there very rapidly if necessary from long-range.

2.) Our allies in Europe (mainly Britain and Israel) have the capablity to protect themselves, even though it is largely with our technology and aid.

It is definitely time to reshape our policy. That means getting a team in there for this next administration that knows how to exert influence around the globe without pissing everybody off. I don't think a first term senator from Illinois with a voting and speech history that makes Ted Kennedy look like Ronald Reagan is capable of that.

» » It has been this way now for some time. It is funny because the US put

» so

» » much money into the Iraq war, yet we have the same issues 90 miles from

» » FLA. What is different?

»

»

» just want to play a bit of devil advocate..

»

» but US have missiles here in Europe... so why shouldn't Russia be allowed

» to place bombes/missile shield in Cuba?

The U.S. no longer has permanent, Nuclear missiles based outside of the continental U.S. that I am aware of. All the U.S. has left is some 500+ MM III missiles and all are based in the central U.S. I'm sure there are still nuclear armed bombers stationed in Europe, Guam, and other places on a rotating basis and of course there are still subs...

Using Cuba as a refueling base for Russian bombers is just rhetoric. They are pissed we are going ahead with the Missile defense shield and they did the same thing when they said some time ago that they would just aim their missiles at Europe. Having a refueling base in Cuba won't really matter if a Nuclear war breaks out. Besides, they have airborne refueling tankers like us....

Hi Jimmy2!

Still nothing happens! And if happens, to blame there is a present military management of the USA. I am far from policy! More interesting for me to speak about cigars but when there is a Russian theme on cigar forum, it is not so pleasant to me discuss a policy. Let's better talk about cigars! Wait for the cat to jump.

Best regards!

» Hi Jimmy2!

» Still nothing happens! And if happens, to blame there is a present

» military management of the USA. I am far from policy! More interesting for

» me to speak about cigars but when there is a Russian theme on cigar forum,

» it is not so pleasant to me discuss a policy. Let's better talk about

» cigars! Wait for the cat to jump.

» Best regards!

It's much ado about nothing. Some mid-level flunky spouting off.

"We regard these kinds of anonymous allegations as disinformation," defense ministry spokesman Ilshat Baichurin was quoted by RIA-Novosti as saying.

And the US military is not to "blame". These agreements were negotiated by the civilian government of the US. The military implements the agreement.

There is still much to play out here but I would be surprised that deploying bombers to Cuba is the response.

As you say, Sir, "wait for the cat to jump".