Recomendations for a Nub

I'm rather new to the whole CC scene as I live in the US where they are terribly diffcult to obtain, but I have been blessed to been given about a half a dozen various Cubans from a very good friend. All I have had the opportunity to try so far is a couple Cohiba Siglo VI's, R&J churchills, and a Monte D. I liked them all, but enjoyed the churchill the most, although the Siglo VI was amazing as well. Next month I will be going on business to BC, Canada and plan to hit up an LCDH while I'm there. Could y'all please give me some recomendations on the must trys for my trip? Thanks!

A must are Monty #4s

Patagas Connasuer series

La Gloria Cubana Med D series

Bolivar royal Coronas

Cohiba Lancero

Cohiba Corona Especials-

Vegas Robina Familar

Thats just a few, but as you try more and more you will become Favorable to more of certain brands

How long are you going to be there, and how much can you smoke in that time? ;-)

-Cohiba Robusto

-Ramon Allones Specially Selected or Ramon Allones Gigantes (whichever size you prefer)

-Bolivar Petit Corona

-Bolivar Gold Medal

-Montecristo No. 2

-Partagas Serie D No. 4

-Trinidad Fundadores

-H Upmann Magnum 46

Not all necessarily my favorites . . . but definately should be on the "to do" list

Answering your question is not an easy thing for anyone to do. From your posts, you describe 3 completely different types and flavor profiles of cigars. You mentioned that you enjoyed the RyJ Churchill the most, what about the cigar did you enjoy? Was it the mild body? Was it the somewhat mild nutty and creamy essence of the cigar? Was it the size and feel in your hand?

Cuban cigars are totally different from Non-Cuban cigars. The majority of Non-Cuban cigars taste the same, no matter the size, where Cuban cigars will have the typical marca flavors but larger Cuban cigars such as Churchill's and Double Coronas tend to be milder than smaller vitolas.

I do have a few suggestions for you, the first one is for you to spend a little time on Trevor's site learning a bit more about Cuban cigars in general at www.CubanCigarWebsite.com and then spend a lot of time here reading the different cigar reviews and determining what flavors sound interesting to you. That way, you can help us, help you with suggestions of what might be "Must Have's" for your trip.

One further note, I would recommend that you might want to consider spending less money than what Cuban cigars cost in Canada and ordering a sampler from [email protected] . I suggest that you get 3 of each cigar you have an interest in. Than way you can try it, and if you like it, you can sample it again to make sure you liked it. The third one is to have to share or smoke while your next order is in route.

» Answering your question is not an easy thing for anyone to do. From your

» posts, you describe 3 completely different types and flavor profiles of

» cigars. You mentioned that you enjoyed the RyJ Churchill the most, want

» about the cigar did you enjoy? Was it the mild body? Was it the somewhat

» mild nutty and creamy essence of the cigar? Was it the size and feel in

» your hand?

»

» Cuban cigars are totally different from Non-Cuban cigars. The majority of

» Non-Cuban cigars taste the same, no matter the size, where Cuban cigars

» will have the typical marca flavors but larger Cuban cigars such as

» Churchill's and Double Coronas tend to be milder than smaller vitolas.

»

» I do have a few suggestions for you, the first one is for you to spend a

» little time on Trevor's site learning a bit more about Cuban cigars in

» general at www.CubanCigarWebsite.com and then spend a lot of time here

» reading the different cigar reviews and determining what flavors sound

» interesting to you. That way, you can help us, help you with suggestions

» of what might be "Must Have's" for your trip.

»

» One further note, I would recommend that you might want to consider

» spending less money than what Cuban cigars cost in Canada and ordering a

» sampler from [email protected] . I suggest that you get 3 of each cigar

» you have an interest in. Than way you can try it, and if you like it, you

» can sample it again to make sure you liked it. The third one is to have to

» share or smoke while your next order is in route.

Very sensible suggestions you should take on board.

Rather than recommend what I might like, I might suggest enlisting the help of the LCDH staff in

helping you choose. They may be able to suggest cigars that they feel are very good at the moment.

Perhaps they have some nice ones with a few years of age.

Of course, I might be naïve in believing that all staff will have the proper knowledge, but that's where

I'd start.

You may also want to attach a cushion to your chin - it will more than likely hit the floor when

you see the prices :-)

» Rather than recommend what I might like, I might suggest enlisting the help

» of the LCDH staff in

» helping you choose. They may be able to suggest cigars that they feel are

» very good at the moment.

» Perhaps they have some nice ones with a few years of age.

»

» Of course, I might be naïve in believing that all staff will have the

» proper knowledge, but that's where

» I'd start.

»

» You may also want to attach a cushion to your chin - it will more than

» likely hit the floor when

» you see the prices :-)

Yes, the most important info I read is about the cushion for your chin. Colt really is correct. Canada is about as expensive as it gets (until the US removes the embargo - but that is another story.)

I still would try a Cohiba Robusto, a Partagas SD No.4, a Monte No.2 a RyJ Churchill and a Monte No 4. for starters, no matter what I thought I liked. Then I would let retailler's know what I thought of those for starters and go with their recommendations from there on out...

Good luck, and enjoy!

DC

» I still would try a Cohiba Robusto, a Partagas SD No.4, a Monte No.2 a RyJ

» Churchill and a Monte No 4. for starters, no matter what I thought I liked.

» Then I would let retailler's know what I thought of those for starters and

» go with their recommendations from there on out...

DC, purely for discussion's sake - let's say I have my mind made up to try the Cohiba Robusto or PSD4.

The LCDH has these from mid to late '07. But they have La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'OR NO.2

from '02, or Bolivar Corona Gigantes from '03.

Do I stick to my guns and go with the CoRo or SD4, or go off the board and try something I

may not have thought of, that may be "better" right now.

That was my train of thought.....

Thanks for the advice y'all I really appreciate it. To answer some of the questions I prefer to smoke larger ring guage cigars and like a good spicy or woody cigar when I am drinking and when I'm not drinking I prefer a smoother creamier cigar. I will being doing both (drinking and not drinking) while I'm there so I plan on trying a variety. All in all, I'm all about variety and I love trying cigars I've never smoked. I get bored with repitition sometimes so I was just inquiring to get some Ideas before I walk into the store. Thanks again!

Purely for discussion's sake, I'd go for the recent production if I'm after a sampling of Cuban cigars to get my foot in the door. In this situation, I'm looking to try many different things that would be readily accessible any time I was looking to order. You never really know when an aged box of XXXX will turn up, but CoRo and SD4 are always ready at the click of a mouse.

» DC, purely for discussion's sake - let's say I have my mind made up to try

» the Cohiba Robusto or PSD4.

» The LCDH has these from mid to late '07. But they have La Gloria Cubana

» Medaille D'OR NO.2

» from '02, or Bolivar Corona Gigantes from '03.

»

» Do I stick to my guns and go with the CoRo or SD4, or go off the board and

» try something I

» may not have thought of, that may be "better" right now.

»

» That was my train of thought.....

Hi Colt,

I just noticed this response.

If it were me, and I wanted to try two not four smokes, I would stick to my guns. The recent stuff is just astounding.

If I decided I needed to know more, I would try all four and make a decision afterwards.

I doubt I have tried the LGC Medaille d'or No 2 from '02 or the Bolivar CG from '03, so I can't make a definitive statement for you.

I always head towards what I think I will like and I like fat cigars.

Cheers,

DC