Vintages?

Being relatively new to this I would like to ask about certain vintages. I am assuming that some years are better overall than others due to better growing condition during that year, such as you find in wine vintages.

Is there some kind of chart that rates tobacco crops by years, and more importantly, how is 2008 shaping up?

Thanks

» Being relatively new to this I would like to ask about certain vintages. I

» am assuming that some years are better overall than others due to better

» growing condition during that year, such as you find in wine vintages.

»

» Is there some kind of chart that rates tobacco crops by years, and more

» importantly, how is 2008 shaping up?

»

» Thanks

Good questions - I personally do not know of a chart per se, but I think you are correct in that

obviously, some harvests will be better than others.

One thing to try and keep in mind (and that I often forget), is that box date does not necessarily

equate to harvest year. As of some time in '06, Habanos have been rolled with aged fillers-

three year ligero, two year seco, and one year volado. I'm not sure of wrapper aging.

Even prior to that, box year may not have coincided with harvest - an early '02 could not have

been from the '02 harvest, for example

And then there are reservas, and ELs, and REs......

» Good questions - I personally do not know of a chart per se, but I think

» you are correct in that

» obviously, some harvests will be better than others.

»

» One thing to try and keep in mind (and that I often forget), is that box

» date does not necessarily

» equate to harvest year. As of some time in '06, Habanos have been rolled

» with aged fillers-

» three year ligero, two year seco, and one year volado. I'm not sure of

» wrapper aging.

»

» Even prior to that, box year may not have coincided with harvest - an

» early '02 could not have

» been from the '02 harvest, for example

»

» And then there are reservas, and ELs, and REs......

Thanks - I really didn't think of that...

actually that makes the question even more interesting. For example, if you know that 2005 produced a great harvest and a cigar comes out this year with a 3 year old wrapper or filler, it may give some hint as to whether a cigar might turn into an exceptional cigar.

Just to reiterate, I'm new to all of this and really don't know if this is even a question worth pursuing.

» Being relatively new to this I would like to ask about certain vintages. I am assuming that some years are better overall than others due to better growing condition during that year, such as you find in wine vintages.

»

» Is there some kind of chart that rates tobacco crops by years, and more importantly, how is 2008 shaping up?

»

» Thanks

The following generalisations could be used (box dates are referred to here, not crop dates.......refer to what Colt45 said above):

Cigars made before 1996 are considered better and more consistent. All boxes had perfect appearance and construction. Plugged cigars were virtually unheard of before circa 1996. Construction issues began to appear in the year 1998, and the period 2003/4 was notorious for construction problems, including gross under-filling. The situation improved from the middle of 2004. Now the construction of most new cigars are very good. Since 2005, suction tests are carried out on all cigars before the wrappers are applied. Cigars are smoking earlier and better since 2006 and beyond. 2007 & 2008 are good. 2009 may not be as good due to crop problems 2008.

» actually that makes the question even more interesting. For example, if

» you know that 2005 produced a great harvest and a cigar comes out this

» year with a 3 year old wrapper or filler, it may give some hint as to

» whether a cigar might turn into an exceptional cigar.

»

» Just to reiterate, I'm new to all of this and really don't know if this is

» even a question worth pursuing.

In my opinion, it's certainly a topic worthy of discussion. But I'm not sure how far we'll really get in

the end :-)

I would hope that great cigars would be the result of great harvests. But I would also hope that

in tougher seasons, that they would do the best they possibly could, though I might expect less

production.

I also suspect that with one large company overseeing production of all these marques, that

there may be more room for variance regardless of harvest quality, but that may another topic.