Cigar Pokers

Reaching out to the forum on your advice regarding a good tool.....cigar pokers!

We have all come into the situation that pisses us off when you get a plugged cigar.

Any recomendations?

» Any recomendations?

In the past I've used kebab skewers and a power drill with a fine bit. I really don't do it anymore.

For me, it's not worth the aggravation and the inevitable spilt wrappers. A cigar is supposed to

be an enjoyable experience.

On a side note, it's a peeve of mine that I still have to cross my fingers hoping for a proper draw

whenever I light up a Havana cigar. And while I understand that cigars are a hand made product,

and there will be variances in construction, with the $, £, € a box commands these days, a poor

draw is all but inexcusable.

» Reaching out to the forum on your advice regarding a good tool.....cigar

» pokers!

»

» We have all come into the situation that pisses us off when you get a

» plugged cigar.

»

» Any recomendations?

6 inch aircraft drill bit. I have a 1/16 inch that is a bit small and a 1/8 that is pretty good. I would like a 3/32 inch instead of the 1/16. Just got them and I am still getting used to them, but so far have had only positive results.

» » Any recomendations?

»

» In the past I've used kebab skewers and a power drill with a fine bit. I

» really don't do it anymore.

» For me, it's not worth the aggravation and the inevitable spilt wrappers.

» A cigar is supposed to

» be an enjoyable experience.

»

» On a side note, it's a peeve of mine that I still have to cross my fingers

» hoping for a proper draw

» whenever I light up a Havana cigar. And while I understand that cigars are

» a hand made product,

» and there will be variances in construction, with the $, £, € a box

» commands these days, a poor

» draw is all but inexcusable.

Im with ya Ross. I MIGHT poke a straightened out paper clip down one to see if it improves...but if that dont work, I chuck it.

I agree with all you guys, most annoying situation to deal with!

However it happens and sometimes too often! What brings this on was the other night i sat down to enjoy a RA regional, prior to this, had one that just floored me, totally awesome from start to nub! This one was the opposite, plugged, then went to a Siglo 6.....plugged, then picked out a siglo 2 that hit the spot. After WASTING an hour fighting the other two, i ran out of time to enjoy what i really wanted!

So any tool to aid in this situation is a bonus in my book. Now dealing with Czar is awesome! My previous box of RA regionals where all plugged, returned them and got this replacment, no questions asked, as a matter of fact i think it bugged Rob more than me!!

However something good has to exist to help, user reviews are the only way to buy a tool like this.

I have made own from Stainless Steel... and they work great. In fact, I have never had to throw a single smoke away since. Just about any plug is fixable.

I'll try and post some pics later.

But they are basically thin skewers with a 'handle' that have different points on them. Some are chisel shaped. Other pointy. Others spade. Between them they'll fix any plug in any cigar.

» But they are basically thin skewers with a 'handle' that have different

» points on them. Some are chisel shaped. Other pointy. Others spade.

» Between them they'll fix any plug in any cigar.

They sound just the ticket rob - I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

I have a box of 2004 Vegas Robaina Familiar which have a great flavour but every single one of them is plugged. It is just too much of a hassle to smoke them...

I have a friend who is an engineer so I'll get him to help make me a set of tools as you have described :-)

»

» Im with ya Ross. I MIGHT poke a straightened out paper clip down one to

» see if it improves...but if that dont work, I chuck it.

I have not poked a cigar in quite a while. I have poked and drilled them a lot in the past but I"m over it. Even when I could improve the draw the burn and flavor seemed to be off from the blend not burning as intended. I pitch em.

The other night I was fed up and pulled a problem box of 01 Upmann Mornarchs and some 98 Punch Churchills and cut them all. Out of 16 Monarchs 11 failed to draw and were discarded. The Punch faired a little better and six were cast off. I may cut a tight cigar and let it dry for three days or so but if it will not smoke well after three puffs I'm donw with it.