Hoyo De Monterrey Particulares opinions

Hello All,

I am looking for some sage advice from all of the experienced members.

I am a relative newbie to CC's and most of what I have smoked have been young cigars (I must admit I have really enjoyed just about everything I have smoked).

I have been fascinated to read on the forum the possibilities of aged cigars.

I recently bought from the PCC Aged Stock the Hoyo Des Dieux 25's (1999). I am thrilled.

I want to take advantage of the new sale and was intrigued by the Hoyo De Monterrey Particulares.

Does anyone have an opinion on this vitola?

I could use some help trying to decide what to taste next.

Thanks,

Dean

» Over 1000s of CUban Cigars smoked, and my conclusion is the bigger the

» cigar, the less flavorful

Do you mean bigger in ring guage or length or both?

I must admit 60 % of what I have smoked has been Petit Corona (which I love).

The majority of the rest have been Robustos with particular appreciation for RASS, Hdm #2 and JL #2.

Dean...stay away.

These have been plagued with construction problems. I can check Monday for you. If the construction is perfect then they are a worthwhile cigar. I still would prefer to smoke an aged Sancho Panza Sanchos or Aged Monte A or a young Bolivar Corona Gigante.

If I have time Monday I will do a review. Might need to wait until Tuesday as have a Monday Lunch.

» Hello All,

» I am looking for some sage advice from all of the experienced members.

» I am a relative newbie to CC's and most of what I have smoked have been

» young cigars (I must admit I have really enjoyed just about everything I

» have smoked).

» I have been fascinated to read on the forum the possibilities of aged

» cigars.

» I recently bought from the PCC Aged Stock the Hoyo Des Dieux 25's (1999).

» I am thrilled.

» I want to take advantage of the new sale and was intrigued by the Hoyo De

» Monterrey Particulares.

» Does anyone have an opinion on this vitola?

» I could use some help trying to decide what to taste next.

» Thanks,

» Dean

Diz,

The Gran Corona is a spectacular vitola. One could say it is a Churchill +, but that does not really give the proper credit to the Gran Corona. The ability to clearly shift flavor profiles over that length cigar is always interesting to me. Some just get stronger. Others take complete shifts in direction. It is always fun to start one thinking this is too mild; I am wasting my time; only to find myself completely satisfied and intrigued by the smoke near the middle or end of it. I love Gran Corona's.

Do you ever smoke a Cuban Churchill and feel like the experience ended too soon? Then it is time to start thinking about a Gran Corona.

That being said, I have lots of leisure/flex time to decide how to spend, and I still find it hard to get around to my Gran Coronas often enough.

A five pack is a buy for just about anyone who is interested. I would hesitate to get a box of 25 or more, until I knew this was the vitola for me. I probably have too many for my tastes, and I love this vitola! (I have more than 5...)

Not many newbies to cigars can make it through and enjoy a Gran Corona, in my opinion. This cigar takes time to get to. You said you were a newbie to cuban cigars. If you are a seasoned cigar smoker of any region, and like big, long smokes, you will be fine with a Gran Corona from Cuba.

I say go for a five pack if they are offering it, but be cautious buying more if you have not smoked this size before. Any cigar smoker can handle them given the time, I think. But we are talking about a lot of time.

Cheers,

DC

» smoke an aged Sancho Panza Sanchos or Aged Monte A

» or a young Bolivar Corona Gigante.

Great advice...these are excellent aged cigars that are affordable.

Get the Sanchos as they have been discontinued and increasingly harder to find.

» Dean...stay away.

»

» These have been plagued with construction problems. I can check Monday for

» you. If the construction is perfect then they are a worthwhile cigar. I

» still would prefer to smoke an aged Sancho Panza Sanchos or Aged Monte A

» or a young Bolivar Corona Gigante.

»

» If I have time Monday I will do a review. Might need to wait until Tuesday

» as have a Monday Lunch.

I forgot to mention. I have also always been blessed with retailers like Rob who look out for me when I buy something like this. Rob is likely the most careful about checking smokes on their way out the door as anyone I have dealt with. My point is, it is always important to deal with him or someone like him you trust completely, who will look over cigars of such a tough vitola to roll, to give a final QC on the way out the door, for you.

If you thought this was the vitola you were always looking for and the first few you received of them were rolled poorly, it would be hard to go back to this vitola.

And if Rob says stay away, forget about them for now. If he does not come back to you with a thumbs up on the smokes he has in stock, definately do not buy them. One day, he will have Hoyo, Monte, Punch, etc... Gran Coronas he says buy. Those are the ones to buy.

All the best,

DC

» » Dean...stay away.

» »

» » These have been plagued with construction problems. I can check Monday

» for

» » you.

Dear Prez,

Thank you for your candid response. I know I can count on you and the other members of this board for guidance.

» »

» » If I have time Monday I will do a review. Might need to wait until

» Tuesday

» » as have a Monday Lunch.

That would certainly be appreciated.

»

DC I want to thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom on the merits of the Gran Corona.

Honestly, I have never smoked any cigar that large.

I really prefer vitola in and around the the 42 ring size and Robustos.

I was interested in the Pariculares for a couple reasons. In retrospect my thinking was not very sound.

I was looking to expand my repertoire of size and taste.

But, more so (because of reading the forum) I have become enamored with the idea of experiencing "aged" cigars.

The Particulares seemed to fit the bill and just as importantly wouldn't break my budget.

Don thanks for your help.

I will rethink my next move.

I am always open to suggestions from others.

DSS

» But, more so (because of reading the forum) I have become enamored with

» the idea of experiencing "aged" cigars.

» I am always open to suggestions from others.

Aged doesn't always correlate with "better", but I fully understand the thought process.

If I may, allow me to suggest a few recent vintage cigars that I feel are very good now, but

will also age nicely - and might not be quite as overwhelming as a GC may be.

You may already have these, so bear with me.

First that come to mind are the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.2 & No.3. Also from Partagas,

the 898 V. Personally, I think these are all great now, and will only continue to get better.

In a robusto size, the RyJ SHort Churchill - again I feel current vintages are very good now, and

will only get better. If you can land some '05 H. Upmann Magnum 46, they are just now staring to

blossom, and could be socked away for some time.

I'm sure others will share their opinions as well - happy smoking.

Dean,

Maybe a 5er of BCG and a 5er of a true Gran Corona..Monte A. The BCG is great young and you can age the Monte A yourself!! I personally think that with current stock so good it's nice to see them develop over time. To me it's half the fun of this deadfully expensive hobby!

» » Over 1000s of CUban Cigars smoked, and my conclusion is the bigger the

» » cigar, the less flavorful

» Do you mean bigger in ring guage or length or both?

» I must admit 60 % of what I have smoked has been Petit Corona (which I

» love).

» The majority of the rest have been Robustos with particular appreciation

» for RASS, Hdm #2 and JL #2.

I just stay away from bigger cigars altogether