what is the closest smoke to cuban?

bogie90golfer

Hello,

I am brand new to forum. My wife and I do a lot of traveling and I have had the great experience of enjoying cuban cigars. To me nothing compares. I have only been smoking for about a year. Can anyone enlighten me on what I comes the closest to the real thing?

Thanks

I would have to say Nicaraguan soil.

601 cigars (Don Pepin made )

Tatuaje Red labels (Don Pepin made ) -Victorias - Angeles - Hermosos

Don Pepin Cigars he like his blends like Montecristo as this was his favorte cigar while in Cuba.

Davidoff Millennium Robusto not made in Nicaragua but DR but has to me alot of Cuban flavors and excellant cigar.

And yes i am a CC snob but there are some non CC that catch my eye or my buds sometimes.

I very rarely get the chance to smoke NCs so I'm no great expert. But I had Tatuaje Brown label Noella (PC size) a couple of days ago and it was pretty damned good and pretty cubanesque. Reminded me a lot of a Boli gold medal. If I lived in the US I would be smoking these methinks.

» Tatuaje Brown label Noella (PC size) a couple of days ago and it was

» pretty damned good and pretty cubanesque.

I no longer buy Tatuajes because I don't like the way the owner of the company interacted with a retailer/member of another board I frequent. He was well within his rights to conduct things as he did, but it didn't sit well with me.

That said, they are among the best Noncuban cigars out there. Well worth a try for someone curious about what the quality of other-than-Habanos can be.

» » What Jimmy2 said. . .

»

»

» Thanks to all. I really love the habanos, but unfortunately have no idea

» how to aquire the real thing, except when abroad. Think JFK had some

» left?

» Bogie90golfer

Welcome.

Think How can American on the board smoke Cuban cigars.

» » What Jimmy2 said. . .

»

»

» Thanks to all. I really love the habanos, but unfortunately have no idea

» how to aquire the real thing, except when abroad. Think JFK had some

» left?

» Bogie90golfer

Perplexing. I always find my cursor gravitating to the top right hand corner of the screen. Troublesome that, some glitch I imagine. Someone really needs to sort out this website ;-)

I have had a few good Cabaiguan ce's lately. Medium strength light Connecticut wrapper.

To my taste, nothing is quite like a CC, but Cabiguan and Fuente Anejo have become favorites of mine.

Right now the closest smoke to cuban is the couple of padrons in my cc humi. They're about an inch and a half away.

Seriously, I think the flavor profiles are different. There are cigars I enjoy as much as cubans. There are some I enjoy better than some cubans. There are a couple cubans I think are the best cigars I've ever had. There are some non cubans that mix in and fill out my top 10.

» » » What Jimmy2 said. . .

» »

» »

» » Thanks to all. I really love the habanos, but unfortunately have no

» idea

» » how to aquire the real thing, except when abroad. Think JFK had some

» » left?

» » Bogie90golfer

»

» Perplexing. I always find my cursor gravitating to the top right hand

» corner of the screen. Troublesome that, some glitch I imagine. Someone

» really needs to sort out this website ;-)

Thanks Northo,

That was the question I really wanted to ask, but being a newbie and respect for the forum I really did not know how to ask the question.

A lot of people compare Pepin Garcia's cigars to Cuban cigars, particularly the Tatuaje blends. While the comparison might be apt, I think it's a bit condescending to fine Nicaraguan cigars. Nicaraguan puros (particularly Pepin's blends) have a distinctive spicy flavor component that I haven't tasted in a Cuban cigar, and they deserve recognition for their unique characteristics, instead of being viewed as the best wannabe-Cubans. (Admittedly, I haven't smoked a lot of Cuban cigars yet, but I'm working on rectifying that!)

Personally, my tastes seem to gravitate towards both Cuban and Nicaraguan puros, and while there are some similarities between these two types of tobacco, Cuban cigars have flavors that Nicaraguan cigars cannot duplicate, and vice versa.

If the question were "what non-Cuban cigars would likely appeal to a Habanos aficionado?", then I'd recommend Pepin's cigars as a good place to start. But if you're specifically looking for that distinctive Cuban flavor, then your best bet is a genuine Cuban cigar.