NEW YORK YANKEES WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP HUMIDOR

suspect you mean the sotheby's site?

hard for me to tell from downunder but i would be very surprised if it didn't go for a hell of a lot more han the indicative price.

what chance marvin as top bidder? if i recall, he was all over the kennedy humidor a few years ago. and who wasn't just a touch jealous over that? would have loved to try one of the 'famous' smokes.

» suspect you mean the sotheby's site?

Oops. Beg pardon, Sotherbys it is.

I'm getting a condition report sent to me for anyone that's interested, I'll pass it on.

Silver Humi's of this vintage are usually of lousy condition inside. If one of the crew picks this up I can give you a hand to re-co it if required.

• 7 months later...

From the Christies site. Auction 24th April:

http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDe...ot_id=159451339

Thought someone may be interested.

Hall of Famer Johnny Mize, the burly first baseman who played for the Cards, Giants and Yankees in a 15-year career, paced or tied for the National League lead in home runs four times, hitting three in a single game on six occasions. He also won three RBI crowns and one batting championship. After the "Big Cat" joined the Yankees in 1949, they proceeded to win five straight World Series titles (1949-53). This fine sterling silver humidor was presented to Johnny Mize as a symbol of his contribution to the New York Yankees World Championship in 1951. The top of the lid is inscribed, "New York Yankees 1951 World Champions John R. Mize" along with the Yankees logo. Interior retains its original wooden inserts, and the interior lid has engraved facsimile signatures of DiMaggio, Mantle, Mize, Martin, Rizzuto, Berra, and the rest of Mize's Yankees teammates. The box measures an impressive 6"x10" weighing just over 35 total ounces. Marked "Fisher, Sterling" on the bottom. This is a functional and rarely seen New York Yankees World Championship presentational item from a significant Hall of Famerimage6194.jpg