Vegas Robaina Famoso Blind tasting Review April 2005

»» all that said, i am wondering just how the pres is going to choose a cigar

» and send it to us all without actually knowing what it is.

Have Lisa select the sticks. Rob don't have to control everything.:-P

rob has finally instructed me to post so here goes -

Am writing this after seeing the first two reviews but no others. What a fascinating exercise. There are some close similarities to my notes (the notes from which this review is compiled were originally done without seeing those reviews) but also some big differences.

Mine was very veiny and a light milk chocolate colour. Certainly nothing special. The wrapper was not particularly attractive. The initial impression was quite a gritty opening. If it were a wine, I’d have said seriously tannic. There were similarities between it and a very young, raw red. Quite a powerful, woody style with herbal and slightly green notes. There was also an earthy edge. In small doses, no problem, but I felt it was a little over-accentuated here. El Pres has not given me the heads up re age (you think that this job would come with certain perks) but I would be very surprised if it were not a very young cigar.

Certainly, it did come with thick clouds of smoke - I am in agreement with that - but saw no particularly sweet notes. The flavour that was there was in the more forceful range and consistent throughout. The aftertaste was not a highlight.

The real positive for this cigar was the immaculately consistent burn, slow, and with a small but perfectly formed cone.

Overall, not a bad cigar, and although I wasn’t disappointed, I didn’t find it exciting. In fact, straight after, I went and grabbed a Juan Lopez No 1 which I far preferred. My thoughts are that this is a very young cigar and provided that earthy note doesn’t become accentuated with time, I think that this will be a far better cigar in 6 to 12 months. 88 (and that partly includes promise).

Well I kept the worst of the 10 for Ken and Myself (hence Ken's incessant whinging about a vein :lol2: )

Nice box press, the colour of an old fashioned Pig skin Rugby ball....dark tan. The wrapper has a little oil, the foot is open, slight hard spot under the band...could be a problem but the cigar feels light in the hand while not underfilled. Nice smell at cold...all coffee and cream.

Cuban clip the end and after a circular roll around the lip,I trial draw...perfect...slight pull required.

First 10 minutes is pur Cuban tobacco taste before the cigar cools and opens into a coffee bean and cream profile. Very Similar to a Montecristo who has been working out...stronger, bolder.

The Coffee/cream profile stayed for a long tme but disappeared as the cigar warnmed up toward the last third. There were sugary notes trying to come through but never quite made it. Intriguing as you felt you were seeing something out of the corner of your eye which disappeared when you looked or focussed.

Last third was all Cuban tobacco and a sprinkle of white pepper.

The burn was good until just before the band where it finished a little wonky.No Biggie.

All in all one of my favouite Robusto's. Seldom discussed but can be normally enjoyed young and I find them at their best come 4 years of age.

OIK NOV 03

Vegas Robaina Famosos.

As Homer would say;

"WOOHOOO!!!"

I got it right with my first guess, just lucky I had had one in such an unforgettable setting as the rooftop bar of the Ambos Mudos in Habana Vieja.

Nice to know we get good stuff to try.

Let me know when we can sign up for the next tasting el Pres.

Al

PS good luck to the Reds tonight

» OIK NOV 03

»

» Vegas Robaina Famosos.

Looks like I was off a bit on that one...Looks like I need to let my Box of VR Famoso from Aug03 rest another year or so.....I could have sworn that was a Boli RC!

»» In the words of the great Ralph Wiggum, "I beat the smart kids.":-D

I could'nt beat a stupid kid but what the hell. I had a free cigar and at least got to play with the big dogs.

I'll smoke your **** anyday Rob and guess the I.D. best I can.

Had a good laugh at your comment about Rob, Mr. Gargett. No I have not actually met the bloke but I'd like to take him on a good TN. turkey hunt and see how he fairs on my turf.

We'd smoke his stash and he can call them anything he wans to.