RyJ SC Comparison Tubed v Non-Tubed

Good stuff, Slick. I think that you are probably correct about the burn - sound a bit wet.

(for my own curiosity, were they transported in an airtight caddy?)

I smoked an A/T yesterday and enjoyed it - was quite a bit like your description - sweet tobacco,

a bit of cream cheese / vanilla, and cedar. Just some hints of cherry.

Thanks for posting.

» Good stuff, Slick. I think that you are probably correct about the burn -

» sound a bit wet.

» (for my own curiosity, were they transported in an airtight caddy?)

»

» I smoked an A/T yesterday and enjoyed it - was quite a bit like your

» description - sweet tobacco,

» a bit of cream cheese / vanilla, and cedar. Just some hints of cherry.

» Thanks for posting.

They were sealed in a large ziploc bag if my memory serves me correctly.

Have been in the humi(Avallo TD) acclimating for a little over a month. Humidity set @ 65%, but fluctuates between 62-65.

Tubed cigar stayed in the tube the entire time they were stored.

I believe the boxes were from 07'.

» Do u keep the tube lids on when they're in your humi?

»

» Cheers,

»

» George

Yes.

Great review Tom!

Did you catch anything on the trip?

No, we got in on the tail end of the hunt. We were all foreign to the area so we spent a lot of time scouting and looking for sign. We found some very good spots and are optimistic for the re-opening of the area in August or a rut hunt in Sept. I did catch a buzz and killed a lot of brain cells though. :-D

I really think this is a cigar that needs to age. It will be awesome in 5 years.

Agreed

Nice work Tom ;-)

From the photo's the wrapper on the tubed version appears to be superior. Nice oil content... a hint of that reddy sheen.

Looks like a great weekend :-D

Very nice comparo. I'm partial to the tubed version not the least of which is protection from physical damage and slower aging. But I'll smoke either...and in the setting in which you enjoyed these, how could you go wrong? :-D

Wilkey

Tom,

I have not been online much for a couple weeks. I am on vacation. I am glad I caught this topic!

Thanks for doing the review! Very nice. While it sounds like you enjoyed them, they certainly could have treated you better.

I have been finding tubos better, but I still don't know if it is really quality or just shape.

Enjoy,

DC

Well written comparative review.... well done.

I was in North Arizona in March last year and froze my butt off.. so you certainly did well to even muster up the enthusiasm to get out for the hunt.

Nice work Tom

From the photo's the wrapper on the tubed version appears to be superior. Nice oil content... a hint of that reddy sheen.

Looks like a great weekend

Thanks Rob. It was a great time. I learned a great deal about hunting, ate fantastic food, smoked fine cigars, drank shitty coffee and got annhialated on vodka, whisky and beer. Sounds like a typical Aussie vacation, no? :-D

Very nice comparo. I'm partial to the tubed version not the least of which is protection from physical damage and slower aging. But I'll smoke either...and in the setting in which you enjoyed these, how could you go wrong?

You like tubos Wilkey?????? :-P

Tom,

I have not been online much for a couple weeks. I am on vacation. I am glad I caught this topic!

Thanks for doing the review! Very nice. While it sounds like you enjoyed them, they certainly could have treated you better.

I have been finding tubos better, but I still don't know if it is really quality or just shape.

Lucky man! I will be there the 8th-13th now. Can't fuggin wait! I prefer tubos, if not just for the sweet cedar smell it adds to the tobacco pre-light. Thanks again Peter! Enjoy your vacation!

I was in North Arizona in March last year and froze my butt off.. so you certainly did well to even muster up the enthusiasm to get out for the hunt.

Mid-60's by day, low 30's by night. Wasn't too bad, but I certainly wasn't crawlin my ass out of the tent before sun up. ;-)

• 7 months later...

First, I would like to apologize for the length of this post. Should have some pretty pictures for those of you with attention defecits.:-P

Second, I would like to thank Don Candido(Peter) for not only involving me with this opportunity but also for the nuclear attack he sent on my mailbox recently. I will be humbled for a long, long, long time and have vowed revenge over a long period of time. You're a good man Peter!

Last weekend some friends and I went hunting for elk in N. Az. I was supposed to smoke the SLR DC up there and decided against it soley because the only time I could smoke it was after scouting all day. We covered 100 miles each day(2) on quads. After sundown I was ready to eat, get drunk and pass out.

I decided to do a review on the 2 RyJ Short Churchills Don Candido sent me to review each morning.

First smoked was the dress box version.

image6077.jpg

image6078.jpg

image6079.jpg

image6080.jpg

image6092.jpg

Flavors:

1st/3rd:

Vegetal, herbs and a sweet cream undertone. The cigar was mild and believe it or not tasted of bourbon through the nose. First time for everything, right?

2nd/3rd

Still mostly vegetal, a hint of vanilla, pepper spice on the tip of my tongue and anise through the nose.

3rd/3rd

Core tobacco with light vanilla undertones.

image6081.jpg

image6082.jpg

image6083.jpg

image6084.jpg

Burn:

Quite a few issues. It was close to windless.:-|

image6085.jpgimage6086.jpg

image6087.jpgimage6088.jpgimage6089.jpgimage6090.jpg

Overall Impression:

I have enjoyed every one of these that I have smoked. My opinion is that with a good amount of time (5+years) these cigars will be stellar. The vegetal will make way to an array of present unknown flavors.

The next morning I fired up the Tubed Version

image6093.jpgimage6094.jpgimage6095.jpgimage6096.jpg

Flavors

1st/3rd

Much milder vegetal, with sweet cream and tea. Overheated the cigar to keep it lit and noticed a taste of toasted marshmallows.

2nd/3rd

Core tobacco, caramel, wood and cream.

3rd/3rd

Heavy tobacco, vanilla undertones, turned into a black pepper spice powerhouse. The cigar ended with ammonia! :-(

image6098.jpg

image6099.jpg

image6100.jpg

image6101.jpg

Burn:

Even more issues! Much windier today!

image6102.jpg

image6103.jpg

image6104.jpg

Overall impression:

Much better tastewise from the tube IMO!! I thought this cigar was much more complex than the dress box version. Many more burn issues though. Looked like it was tunnelling the whole time. I think I will be buying some tubed(2) and dress(1) for the long haul. The burn issues may subside with a little time to dry out.

Thanks again Peter for such a great experiment! TD