Juan Lopez Seleccion No 2 UPM NOV 07

Great review - it sounds very nice, and I like the looks of the wrapper.

» This JLS2 example is attractive in a “girl next door” kind of way. You

» would often pass over this cigar if you looked at her amongst a myriad of

» others.

Do you think this would hold true if it were wearing a different band?

» Great review - it sounds very nice, and I like the looks of the wrapper.

»

» » This JLS2 example is attractive in a “girl next door” kind of way. You

» » would often pass over this cigar if you looked at her amongst a myriad

» of

» » others.

»

» Do you think this would hold true if it were wearing a different band?

I think we are often subliminally affected by bands be it D4 Red or the Cohiba Gold. In this case however I was referring more to the wrinkly nature of the wrapper.

I love this Cigar...Rob sent me a few with out labels......wow.....

I have never had it that good....

I pick up two boxes....and smoke them all the time.....I have to pick up two more boxes soon...

Thanks Prez for the intro:

Thanks for the review Rob, good to hear.

I do have to mention that I have 2 cabinets of 50 from MRB Jun 06, one has bands, the other dosen't and they are freakin amazing cigars. So damn good, I could not stop smoking them for some time. I think that run lasted a little longer than Mar of 06, at least for me it did.

Not sure how I missed this review. Good one!

It is timely! I have been through quite a few boxes of '05s of these and they used to be one of my favorites before I knew much about ageing.

I kind of got away from them and recently decided to crack open some '04s and was determined to burn my way through them in order to determine my interest for the future.

I have torched three so far from that bunch and while I thought the first one did not really grab my attention they have steadily grown on me! I think the fact that I find them a solid medium smoke is the reason I moved to others. Stronger was better for a while.

My tastes have obviously changed. These are a very good value and I find myself going to the robusto after lunch or pre-dinner.

I am lighting one now! :-D I expect is shall go well with some brandy and soda. ...

• 7 months later...

Juan Lopez Seleccion No 2 UPM NOV 07

It has been a while since I have had a very good Juan Lopez Selecion No 2. There was a stunning production period from January to March 06 which revitalized my interest to the extent that I considered them to be amongst the top two Robusto. My faith was tempered with some sub standard JLS2 cigars coded throughout the rest of 06 and into 07. I havd plenty of good ones as well but nothing reached the standards of ENE/FEB/MAR 06.

image6003.jpg

image6004.jpg

image6005.jpg

This JLS2 example is attractive in a “girl next door” kind of way. You would often pass over this cigar if you looked at her amongst a myriad of others. Weight in the hand was good although there was a tightness to the roll which raised a possible question of draw issues. A look the foot gave me some comfort. Aroma at cold was a mix of good tobacco and a spiciness…ginger? The wrapper is a little rough. Some elements of oil but also plenty of small veins. What I did like about the wrapper was the slightly red shade.

Clipped the foot and the draw was perfect for me….firm but comfortable. Very fresh tobacco flavour on the palate. Slight sweetness on the lips.

Fired up the foot and the initial strength took me by surprise. Big white and black pepper hit through the nose. Medium bodied weight on the palate. Flavours are well cured tobacco, a slight sweetness mixed with a breadiness…dough. The cigar settles very quickly into a classic medium bodied cigar. The smoke is quite white (as is the ash) but it has good viscosity which you can feel rolling over the tongue. Very simple and yet misleading flavour profile. The overall effect is a medium body with tobacco core and hints of sweetbread. If you push the cigar a little harder some demonic white pepper lingers. As it proceeds towards the midpoint the spiciness and the pepper mix to give intriguing highlights of ginger.

image6006.jpg

image6007.jpg

For such a young cigar this has been most enjoyable. It tastes exactly like a Juan Lopez Seleccion No 2 should taste. Medium bodied and the ensemble/quality to deliver real complexity in a few years. Into its final third the flavours are quite clearly defined. Quality Vuelta Abajo Tobacco, sweet bread, ginger spice. I love it the way it is but with a little more time I believe the flavours will merge a little more than they are currently doing. The burn all in all has been excellent and the aroma all exotic woods.

I love “plain Janes”. Often they deliver far more than you ever expect.

All in all an excellent cigar and a solid 89 0r 4/6 smokerings.

image6008.jpg