Cohiba Club

I am a big fan of the Siglo I – I think it is my favourite of the smaller vitolas along with the RASCC and the Secretos – but I often find that I don’t have enough time at lunch to really enjoy (or finish) one. So I have been considering trying the Cohiba Club for a while now… I made a trip to Hong Kong the other week so I picked up a pack in Duty Free to try.

I didn’t know what to expect from this machine made stick, so I tentatively lit her up. Wow. All I can say is BIG flavour. Too big almost. I don’t think I have ever experienced such a powerful opening to a cigar. None of the Cohiba grassiness, just full on dry-your-mouth-out tannins, earth and chewy leather.

As I sweated through the first third I found the second third relaxed a bit, although I believe this was really due to my palate becoming accustomed to the onslaught. The final third was much the same, no let up on the oral assault. This cigar actually made me shudder at times – you know like when you down a triple Vodka for example – it really was a beast.

Not a complex stick – but then what do you expect from a machine made – but I now think I understand the description on the Czar’s site a bit better:

‘Smooth rich and complex with the best of Cohiba in an espresso bullet’

...Not so sure on the smooth part but definitely rich, definitely an espresso... and definitely like a bullet to the mouth!

I would be interested to know if any other members have experience of these little demons and whether they mellow with age…

G'day Soltino,

I was smoking them for a while, again as a lunch time thing, but I really didn't feel they provided.

I'm afraid I don't know about aging them, never tried.

I'm not a fan of these, they burn too hot for me. Now if I'm itching for a smoke at lunch time I'll grab one of the Panetelas and if I haven't got one on me, I'll just take a longer lunch :-D

» I'm not a fan of these, they burn too hot for me. Now if I'm itching for a

» smoke at lunch time I'll grab one of the Panetelas and if I haven't got one

» on me, I'll just take a longer lunch :-D

hot aint the word for them... I think smokin' hot about sums it up ;-)

How are the panetelas then? What I'm after really is the Cohiba grassiness in a shorter/faster smoking format :yes: I'll pick up some panetelas on my next order from the Czar, thanks for the suggestion SmokinAl :-)

I have trouble keeping the Clubs together to smoke more than about halfway, they seem to fall apart on me.

The panatellas are a very nice cigar, especially with age, but are no bargain given their small size.

My favorite cigar in this small size, for a quick smoke, is the Monte Puritos. A bit more substantial than the Club but still cheap and quick. I wish they made a Cohiba in that Puritos size.

» I have trouble keeping the Clubs together to smoke more than about halfway,

» they seem to fall apart on me.

»

Spot on PT. The Clubs have a nast habit of unravelling which peeves many people.

If I don't have time for a Siglo 1 or another Perla....I just don't have time for a cigar and abstain :-)