Cohiba Gran Corona from 35th Anniversary Humidor

Cohiba Gran Corona from 35th Anniversary Humidor

Drink: Enjoyed with 10Cane Rum from Trinidad.

Prelight: Smell at cold is sweet tobacco and cedar. I serrated the cap to find a surprisingly perfect draw. The prelight tastes were mainly of straight tobacco and spice on the lips.

First, let me start off by saying I received this beautiful cigar from Don Candido. I did a bit of research on the Cohiba Gran Corona or “A”. This particular cigar came out of the 35th Anniversary humidor that only contained 50 of the Gran Corona’s and only 35 were made. This is not a cigar from the 35th Anniversary humidor that contained 135 cigars and 500 produced. It really is tough to find anything on this particular humidor. Although I see a well known retailer has one for sale on their website and I have also seen a little info about it on a page from Cigar Aficionado after doing some online searching. I have seen some folks write that they don’t think this is an “official release”, but I am not as informed as others to say definitively that this was or was not an "official release". What I can say is it was in fact a damn good cigar and definitely had the Cohiba profile. My personal opinion from the little research I did is that this was likely an LCDH release.

One other note: My wife was out of town when I smoked this. It was very windy outside, so I opened a few windows on each side of the tv room, pulled up my leather chair, poured a rum drink and turned on the telly. I was breaking the rules, but I could care less at that point because I had a day to air out the joint and sometimes the wifey likes when I’m bad.:surprised:

The cigar:

GC1.jpg

1st Third: The Cohiba GC started off really slow. Not much oomph and sort of one dimensional. I re-lit, just because I sometimes find with large cigars, they need a little help getting smoke all the way through the thing. This really seemed to help. I’m about 2” into the cigar and it suddenly awakens out of it’s state of boringness with loads of the classic Cohiba vanilla bean, cream and a ton of spice through the nose. A few more inches in and it is gradually intensifying with the same flavors.

GC2.jpg

GC3.jpg

2nd Third: The vanilla bean and spice when exhaled through the nose is so intoxicating. It almost tastes like a cinnamon spiced biscotti dipped in coffee. As the cigar burns down, it strays in some parts, but overall the core flavors of vanilla bean, cream/coffee and spice stay in the fore. To be honest, I didn’t think I could keep interested in a cigar this big, but I was sure wrong. It probably had a lot to do with my situation of smoking in the house, laid back in the leather chair and just relaxing.

GC4.jpg

Interlude: I look over to see ol' girl Sadie fast asleep on the couch. To live a dogs life!

GC6.jpg

Last Third: I really am surprised at the strength and body this cigar has exhibited. Most times I think of a big “A” sized cigar, I think MILD. Not so with the Cohiba GC. It is really building into a spice bomb. The coffee is now more like a double espresso and the spice is tremendous. With the end nearing, I find myself wanting more. 3 hours of pure heaven are now gone, but not forgotten.

GC5.jpg

GC7.jpg

In summary, the Cohiba Gran Corona was a very good cigar. It reminded me of a very good, well aged Cohiba Robusto, only MUCH bigger! Many thanks to Don Candido for the opportunity to smoke this very fine cigar.:ok:

Sounds great::::

I love to smoke cigars inside:::::

Your dog looks happy! My Cat love to hang out with me when I smoke my cigars.....Once he see me pick out a cigar....he follows me out side, and sit next to me....From time to time I even think I see him take in the smell......

hello well i think that your message is really interesting and the best is that you know a lot about cigars, for example do you taste the cohiba Vl, well the flavor is really good, and the scent is excellent,well the flavor in the beginning is a little dry, sweet and a little spicy too, the combustions is really good, the ashes is firm, and when you have time please send me more, i think that you are a good knowing and i would liek to know more about yours comments. If you taste another kind of cigars please let me know, and write soon, thanks,,,, see you» Cohiba Gran Corona from 35th Anniversary Humidor

»

Dear Friend

Thank you to share with us your nice experience, great pictures and specially your big knowledge. Keep in touch please, my pameranian and I say hi to you and your lovely dog from Baltimore, Md

» In summary, the Cohiba Gran Corona was a very good cigar. It reminded me

» of a very good, well aged Cohiba Robusto, only MUCH bigger! Many thanks to

» Don Candido for the opportunity to smoke this very fine cigar.:ok:

Austin,

I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the excellent review!

Cheers,

Peter

Great review! And that is certainly a beautiful cigar. I can't wait until the next time the wife hits the road for a few days so I can kick it in my leather chair and relax with a few smokes. I find it takes a couple of days to get the cigar smoke odor completely out of the house although sometimes she says she can still smell it. I think she just senses it. She knows me too well. :-D

Thanks fellas. Also one thing to note - the finish of the Cohiba GC was so long, it was with me all day long. Kind of like when you eat a good juicy burger, then 3 hours later burp and its like you just ate another!

Alanna, if you like the Cohiba's might I suggest the Siglo III or Lancero. These are some of my favorites.