Cohiba Sublime EL vs. the Cohiba DC EL

rob has squibbed and handballed this to me. been quite a while since i have had a dc el (a so called mate stole some and then a humidor went troppo and destroyed a box so my stocks highly limited and both the few remaining ones i have and my sublimes have been put in deep storage - ie, where i cannot get to it when i have had a few drinks: actually need to plan an outing). but it sounds like the sort of comparison for which one should specifically organise a long lunch to consider (unless our glorious leader feels the need to hold a small seminar and and taste test on this, say at the humidor this friday at 4pm?). be interesting to do it now and check again in five years to see if our conclusions were right - will let you know if i can find them.

as for speculation, love them both enormously but i would not be surprised if you are right about the sublimes. i will say that one of the habanos people told me when the dc's first came out that here was something they believed would be brilliant in ten and again 20 years time. he/they were of the view that the dc's should not be touched for many years, otherwise they would be wasted.

i suspect if well stored, they will both be extraordinary in time.

Ken has obviously been taking his morning medication with Pinot :yes:

I am finding some of the Sublimes a little vegetal of late which to me means another 3-4 years away from their best. The first dozen or so I had were excellent if one dimensionalwhich is to be expected. I have not had a Cohiba DCLE since December but they are one of the best Habanos produced in the past 10 years.

Sublimes a little more power. I look forward to 2009 ;-)

normally i would let things slide but i do retain some of my old 'legal' habits, namely never getting rid of anything and if i may quote, merely as evidence in my own defence for that appalling pinot/medication slur, from the email i rec'd from our glorious guru - "Dragon has a post that only an expert like you can answer :)

Rob".

and yes, i am fully aware of the sarcasm that was employed here.

I'm just so happy that the Cohiba DC EL is the subject of this month's taste testing!

(commence tribal feuding and bickering)

Truth be told, I have tried one Sublime and found it to be well before it's prime (vegetal, as Rob suggests, seems to fit), although superb. I don't recall any DC ELs being available through my preferred vendor of singles and boxes alike *shamelss plug*, or I would offer a lenghty comparison. The do seem to be held in a very similar high regard for those that are fans of the Cohiba line and ELs, however.

• 2 weeks later...

I too believe the Sublime is way before its prime AND so are the DC.

I hate to be the first to commit the sacrilage on the forum but here goes. I have quite a few of the Siglo series that beat both of the ELs

Bothe of these vitolas are near one dimensional. Not bad but not complex as are many of my other Cubans on hand. I might expect to much from these because of their famous name and the EL hooplah.

There I said it, I will brace for my punishment. I am ashamed to talk like this but..................

i actually felt that the sublime is less then sublime...i would choose the cohiba dc anyday over the sublime and i feel the siglo 6 and robusto are the top cohibas currently produced...well taste is subjective but theres mine.

as far as ageing the dc and sublime...well with the newer processes of the tabacco today by cuba im not sure as too how either will age...only time will tell.

Ditto to the man called ilikecigars. I like the Robusto and Sig 6 of the same year class. I have some aged SigIII and V that are all over the ELs.

Just smoked my first Sublime tonight pool side and WOW! After 6 months of looking at them every time I opened my humidor, I felt that it was finally time to put the flame to one. It was one of the best smokes that I have ever had. It reminded me alot of the Cohiba Millenium that I smoked a few months ago, in both flavor and quality. Like Rob, I would like to see what happens to the Sublime in 2009!

As for a the Sublime vs. the DC EL, I'm unable to make that comparison, due to the fact that I have not had the DC EL yet.

• 2 months later...

I've been letting the Sublimes and DC's age a while and will sample again soon. I was burning them to young and wasting money.