Rank Current Brands to be Discontinued.

Imagine that you are in given the job at HSA to axe brands.

HSA currently has 27 brands, reduced from 33 in 2005/6.

You are given a short list of 7 brands.

You have to:

A. Rank the brands 1 to 7 in order to be deleted (1 being the first to go, 2 being the second etc). You do not have to give reasons for this task, as the short list has already been decided.

B. Nominate if any brands in the short list should be retained (give reasons why).

C. Nominate if any other brands should be axed instead of those in the short list (give reasons why).

Diplomaticos – originally intended as a cheaper version of Montecristo. Only 3 vitolas in current production & no special releases.

Fonseca – the quaint brand of tissue wrapped cigars. Only 4 vitolas in current production & no special releases.

La Flor de Cano – One of HAS brands that contains all short-filler cigars. Only 2 vitolas in current production & no special releases.

Quai d’Orsay – A minor brand that HAS tried to revive in 2005 but cut a vitola in 2006. Only 3 vitolas in current production & no special releases.

Quintero – Another HSA brand that contains all short-filler cigars. Recently down-graded from a global brand to a multi-local brand. Only 4 vitolas in current production & no special releases.

Sancho Panza – Another HSA local brand that has only 3 vitolas in current production & no special releases.

Vegueros – A relatively new HSA local brand that has only 4 vitolas in current production; 2 of these vitolas are only available in cardboard packs. A single special release to date.

I have had a few Diplomaticos No.3 and although nothing special, a great golf cigar and with it's mild flavor good for the younger palate. It's also quite affordable so when I have people around who go "wow is that a Cuban, can I have one", it's what I give them. Although they don't give an educated description, they seems to go down well.

With the Quintero's, I think yuck. All the one I've tried have been dry in flavor, sharp and bitter. They have even stopped me smoking cigars altogether for a week or two. I won't make that mistake again! Get rid of them!

Sancho Panza Corona Gigantes in my opinion are a very nice cigar. I have only had a couple and found them to resemble some H.D.M's. I will probably miss these. The one's I'm talking about are 2003, not sure about current stock. I'm planning to have one tomorrow night so I hope I'm right!

If it was up to me I would consider dropping the the Romeo y Julieta Cazadores. Although I have had many of these in my early days, mainly because I desired the strength and robust spices. Since developing a finer palate I find them to be out of control. To me there like a cross between dirt and tan bark.

There's my two cents!

A.

1. La Flor de Cano

2. Vegueros

3. Diplomaticos

4. Fonseca

5. Quintero

6. Quai d'Orsay

7. Sancho Panza

B.

Sancho Panza - Very enjoyable smokes, especially when aged. I've never understood the short shrift they get - packaging not fancy enough, perhaps?

Quai d'Orsay - Mild, but quite good

C. I don't want to see any of the marcas go, but if I could trade Juan Lopez for Sancho Panza on the list, I would.

Out of curiosity, is this purely theoretical, or do I need to sell some blood and stock up on SPs?

Edited for because of double word word.

» Imagine that you are in given the job at HSA to axe brands.

»

» HSA currently has 27 brands, reduced from 33 in 2005/6.

»

» You are given a short list of 7 brands.

»

» You have to:

»

» A. Rank the brands 1 to 7 in order to be deleted (1 being the

» first to go, 2 being the second etc). You do not have to give reasons for

» this task, as the short list has already been decided.

»

» B. Nominate if any brands in the short list should be retained

» (give reasons why).

»

» C. Nominate if any other brands should be axed instead of those in

» the short list (give reasons why).

»

» Diplomaticos – originally intended as a cheaper version of

» Montecristo. Only 3 vitolas in current production & no special releases.

»

» Fonseca – the quaint brand of tissue wrapped cigars. Only 4

» vitolas in current production & no special releases.

»

» La Flor de Cano – One of HAS brands that contains all short-filler

» cigars. Only 2 vitolas in current production & no special releases.

»

» Quai d’Orsay – A minor brand that HAS tried to revive in 2005 but

» cut a vitola in 2006. Only 3 vitolas in current production & no special

» releases.

»

» Quintero – Another HSA brand that contains all short-filler cigars.

» Recently down-graded from a global brand to a multi-local brand. Only 4

» vitolas in current production & no special releases.

»

» Sancho Panza – Another HSA local brand that has only 3 vitolas in

» current production & no special releases.

»

» Vegueros – A relatively new HSA local brand that has only 4 vitolas

» in current production; 2 of these vitolas are only available in cardboard

» packs. A single special release to date.

A.

1. La Flor de Cano

2. Quintero

3. Quai d'Orsay

4. Vegueros

5. Fonseca

6. Diplomaticos

7. Sancho Panza

B.

Agreed, Sancho Panza - Very enjoyable smokes, especially when aged.

Age SP Beli is yummy

I've also had many Dips that were very good, in recent years the price on these has climbed to near Monte 2, H Up2, etc...making them not worth it IMHO

» …and why would Sancho Panza be discontinued also, they are a Spanish market

» favorite and Spain still is one of the important markets for Habanos.

The number of choices in the Sancho Panza marque has been been drastically reduced in recent years, and hasn't been shown any support in the way of REs, etc., so it's understandable that Trevor might wonder if the brand itself is on the way out.

In any event, this is largely a theoretical exercise (I hope), and interesting to ponder. I hope more people will participate in the form which Trevor requested.

» In any event, this is largely a theoretical exercise (I hope), and

» interesting to ponder. I hope more people will participate in the form

» which Trevor requested.

Purely theoretical.....I was just pondering what could go if HSA was so inclined.

I could only see these 7 of the current 27 Brands as possibilities.

» In any event, this is largely a theoretical exercise (I hope), and

» interesting to ponder. I hope more people will participate in the form

» which Trevor requested.

I've only smoked from two lines on the list, which is why I did not want to put in my two bits.

I do enjoy Sancho Panza, and have only had one Dip, which I also enjoyed.

A.

1. La Flor de Cano

2. Vegueros

3. Fonseca

4. Quai D'Orsay

5. Quintero

6. Diplomatico

7. Sancho Panza

B.

Dipls, Sancho and Quintero are all safe. Fonseca is having a hard time but still sells well in Europe. Damn shame they deleted the Fonseca Invictos years ago. Quai D'Orsay must sell well in France given it does nothing anywhere else.

A)

1. La Flor de Cano

2. Vegueros

3. Quai D'Orsay

3. Quintero

3. Fonseca

6. Diplomatico

7. Sancho Panza

B)

Save for the LFdC & Vegueros, I have had very pleasant to great offerings from the other marcas, especially the Diplo(#2 & #3) and SP(Beli). Quinteros are rustic and a good value for straightforward cuban tobacco. The QdO coronas claro are a sweet and pleasant am smoke, but a little boring in the bigger offerings. I also like the Fonseca #1 with 4-5 yrs as a very pleasant morning-afternoon smoke.

Why keep producing any Vegueros as I only know of a 1-2 people who actually prefer them, and even they will not go so far as to have more than a box laying around?